Fire

Fire

i.   

Your breath mingled in with the smoke,

breathing became harder,

The sun poured over the upturned grass.

Black coated the roof, but there were no stars.

The green turned into soot and ash.

The flames rose higher and higher,

the blue of the sky mingled with the smoke,

the bright yellow clawed it's way upwards,

The red danced before their silhouettes,

dancing and curling and slashing it's sword.

Fire made it's way into the land,

up the mountains

and down the hills.

Fire, it leaves no man alive.

Everyone huddles,

trying to forget the outside.

ii.

I couldn't breathe.

Talk, Talk, Talk. The girl in the front is pretty, her eyes hollow, her words a cut, my eyes water. I look ahead, the world swims, I try to paddle forward. My mother is gripping my hand, her hand is cold. I wished it was this cold when the flames came closer, when the flames became a wall in front and blocked me like blood. But, no, they were warm back then. I shiver. Everything seems bare, I could see my eyes train forward.

I am walking.

The grass is only soot under my feet, ash trails my path, as if I were the fire that burned. My hands curl together, my head feels chummy. I swallow down the bile that shots up to my throat. The sky is so blue, I wished it was blue before. I wish I didn't see only the rise of black and yellow and the brown crumble down. I wish I was layed on the grass, flowers crowned on my heart, my eyes two diamonds and my skin made of hay and straw. However, now I am gone, I may not be laying in the grass, but I have a familiar cold hand clutching my hand. It feels nice, I smile.

Maybe the fire has stopped burning after all.