Chapter 4: Thomas

~3rd Person P.O.V.~

It was now later in the evening, the boys all threw the torches into the giant bonfire they had made. Now, it was time to celebrate the new greenie. As always, Gally was in a circle, fighting a boy, other gladers surrounding them and cheering on the builder.

A couple feet away from the bonfire, sat Newt and the greenie, their backs facing away from the celebration, leaning on a log.

"Hell of a first day greenie," Newt spoke up. Greenie nodded, looking down, "Here, put some hair on your chest." He passed the greenie a glass full of liquid.

The boy grabbed it from the blondes hands, before drinking some of it. Almost instantly, he spit it out, and started gagging.

"Oh my god," he coughed, "What is that?" He handed the jar back to Newt.

Newt laughed, "I don't even know," he shook his head, "It's Gally's recipe. It's a trade secret."

The two glanced back at the said boy, seeing him fighting a glader in the circle. "Yeah, well he's still an asshole." Greenie muttered, looking forwards.

"He saved your life today," Newt reminded, "Trust me. The maze is a dangerous place." He warned, taking a drink of Gally's recipe.

It was silent between them while the greenie looked at the maze doors, that were now closed for the night.

"We're trapped here, aren't we?" He asked Newt, not taking his gaze off the walls.

"For the moment," Newt nodded before turning around, pointing at a group sitting near the bonfire, "But... you see those guys? There, by the fire?" greenie turned to see what Newt was pointing at, looking at the group, "Those are the runners. And that guy in the middle there, that's Minho. He's the Keeper of the Runners. Every morning, when those doors open, they run the maze... mapping it, memorizing it, trying to find a way out." Newt informed the boy.

The greenie kept his eyes on Minho for a couple seconds, till they moved to a figure beside the Asian boy. Beside him, sat Y/n. The only girl in the glade. They were holding hands, their fingers intertwined while Minho finished eating the food off his plate, and she was watching the fight in the circle from afar.

"How long have they been looking?" Greenie asked, glancing at Newt.

Newt paused for a moment, "Three years."

"And they haven't found anything?"

"It's a lot easier said than done," Newt smirks at him, "Listen. Hear that?" The greenie listened to what the blonde was talking about. After a couple seconds, he heard noises, coming from beyond the walls, "It's the maze, changing. Changes every night."

"How is that even possible?"

"You can ask the people who put us in here, if you ever meet the bastards," Newt chuckled, taking another drink, "Listen, the truth is... the runners are the only ones who really know what's out there. They're the strongest and fastest of us all. And it's a good thing, too," he scoots closer to the greenie, "Because if they don't make it back before those doors close," he points to the doors, "Then they're stuck out there for the night. And no ones ever survived a night in the maze." He explained.

"What happens to them?"

"Well, we call them grievers," Newt said, looking at the walls, "Of course, no one's ever seen one and lived about it. But, they're out there."

The greenie stayed silent, looking at the doors before glancing behind him, looking at the only girl here that he's been wanting to know more about.