The Slow Crawl to Freedom

Just then the open doorway to the cell behind Alex had been sealed off by a second, reinforced door. The guard spins on his heels only to spot a just-as-surprised Alex standing there. The guard quickly reached for his baton and extended it before getting into a fighting stance. The guard charged towards Alex, baton still in hand, as Alex tried to dodge out of the way. The guard swung the baton only to miss as Alex had dodged to the left. Undeterred, he swung again, only to miss again as Alex had rolled back to the right, only to hit a wall. But as the guard swung the third time, he made contact as Alex was trying to regain  balance and Alex staggered, only to block the fourth baton swing. Alex grabbed the baton and yanked it out of the guards hands before kicking him in the shin, bringing the guard to his knees. Alex swung baton right at the guards head, hitting him in the side of the head and rendering him unconscious.

"Well thats step one to progress, and I guess step two would be the keys. Y'know, if I can find them." Alex said. It was then that he looked at the storm drain where he witnessed his literal key to freedom get washed down the drain, after the had come loose from the guards uniform during the skirmish.

"I would be so pissed right now if my arm didn't hurt so much. Seriously, that guy has got to try baseball. That is, if he wakes up." Alex then looked up and saw a vent, too high for him to reach without some assistance. He then looked around and found the stool that the guard was using to set his coffee mug on. Alex placed the stool under the vent and used the baton to pry it open. Just as he unhinged the vent cover, he heard many footsteps coming down the hall.

"Thats my cue!" And indeed it was.