Chapter 1: Harry Hook

I make my way through the alley marketplace. I'm aware of the way I can easily snarl at vendors selling their wares and they will quickly avert their eyes. It's necessary to put on a menacing face on the Isle, so much so that I don't give it a second thought most days. My da's first mate's kids, the twins, are just ahead of me. I assume they're here delivering the latest shipment of wares from da's ship. My tough face melts a bit and I give them a sly grin. Most kids on the Isle show the wear and tear of life by the ripe age of 10, but something about the twins has always looked so innocent. Their eyes look huge and earnest through their cracked glasses perched on top of consistently runny noses.

I'm on my way to Uma's chip shop, and although she wouldn't ever dream of actually being angry with me, I don't feel like being ragged on in front of the entire crew. I'm well aware of the fact that without the favor of Uma, the street vendors and pickpockets in the alleyway would take many more liberties with me. I tend to avoid upsetting her for self-preservation.

When I arrive at the chip shop there is already a huge commotion inside. I shove through the crowd. The air is thick with the smell of ocean and day-old vegetable oil. Uma's back is turned to me and I notice that her hands are shiny with grease. She's grabbing whatever the patrons at the bar have been unfortunate enough not to scarf down and hurling it at a staticky tv screen. My cheeks burn as I notice what she's watching. I only need to see a flash of purple hair to understand why she's so upset. The Auradon News, the only official news source for both the Isle and Auradon, is showing the latest coverage of their most recent obsession: Mal, upcoming queen of Auradon, and King Ben. It's no wonder Uma is angry.

"Uma, Uma, I'm here." I place a hand on her shoulder and squeeze it tightly. As much as I want to comfort her, the shop is crammed with a rough crowd that's just come from the docks. Uma's mother almost exclusively serves pirates, fishermen, and pretty much anyone else who spends as much time in the water as they do on land. Behind closed doors I know from experience that these folks are not nearly as hardened as they let on, but public spaces are fair game. Anger, violence, and sarcasm are the only acceptable means of self-expression.

"Oy! Tell yer first bitch to move out the way. I'm trying to get a view of the screen."

I suck in a deep breath through my teeth. "What the fuck did you just say mate?" I slam my hook into the table in front of him. He mumbles something to himself and picks at the splintering wood. Noodler is one of my da's men but I won't let him push me around and I certainly won't let him disrespect Uma. The older pirates always take issue with younger crews stealing their thunder (and their plunder). "Ye might wanna do yer best to keep yer mug shut before I take you out back and shove you into Ursula's pile of fish muck. I heard the Auradonian's cut her garbage service so I'm bettin it smells just lovely back there." Noodler shakes his head and slides his slimy tray away from me. He's nothing but a nuisance, but better he have to hear from me than Uma. She's not only better with a sword but she has a much better memory. She'll forget her own name before she'll forget a grudge.