Chapter 1: shogatsu

"Thank you for the meal!" Adachi happily chirps, obviously satisfied with his meal. It's the first time in years since he ate a fulfilling meal on New Years' Eve. In the past years, he would just eat store-bought food and celebrate the New Year alone in his apartment. But this year is different. When Kurosawa, his boyfriend, offered to celebrate the New Year together, he agreed right away, or else it'll be like any other year. Here he is right now, in his boyfriend's apartment.

Kurosawa smiles, "Are you sure you don't want more soba? I made a little too much earlier."

Adachi laughs lightly as he remembers how Kurosawa was having so much fun making the noodles from scratch, he ended up preparing more than two servings. But despite being his first time, he made the noodles well. Probably because he kneaded the dough well and his cuts were perfectly even.

"Nah, I'm fine. Seriously, ever since we started going out, I've been putting on some pounds," Adachi playfully says, poking his tummy softly which Kurosawa found cute.

"Good for you. At least, you don't eat too much convenience store food these days. It's unhealthy," remarked Kurosawa. He has been adamant in making Adachi live a healthier life, even if it means cooking for him or supervising his meals since Adachi always ends up eating instant or convenient foods. Adachi is more than thankful for that. Nowadays, he tries to whip up some healthy dishes for himself and lets Kurosawa try it from time to time.

Kurosawa starts clearing the dishes on the table, with Adachi helping him on the side. It has been a routine for them to help each other in cleaning up wherever house they stay for the night. They move so quickly and fluidly without any words, already aware of what they should do.

Done with their clean-up, Kurosawa turns the TV on to wait for the countdown. They settled in front of the window, gazing at the night sky while waiting. The soft sound from the TV envelopes the room. Adachi leans his head into Kurosawa's shoulders, making himself comfortable.

"What time are we going to the shrine tomorrow?" Adachi asks. It is Adachi's first time to visit a shrine with someone other than Tsuge and his own family. He would normally go after all the people had gone since the line to the shrines can tend to get long but this time, he wanted to visit early despite the long line warnings. After all, he wouldn't mind the long line as long as he's with Kurosawa.

Before he answers, Kurosawa takes a quick peek at Adachi's face. He looks angelic, is he even real? Thank you for the good fortune last New Year. Can't wait to see what's our fortune next year.

Kurosawa didn't notice he was staring already. His thoughts were broken when he hears Adachi calling him and sees a hand waving in front of him.

"Earth to Kurosawa. Did you hear what I said earlier?"

"Ah yes, we could go in a little late. At around 10 AM?" Kurosawa replies. They need to sleep after staying up all night to wait for the New Year to come. They need extra strength and power to wait in a long line.

Adachi nods in agreement. He can't wait to wish for a good year ahead of them. With Kurosawa staring at the night sky, he didn't notice how Adachi shifted his position after hearing the countdown from the TV.

[FROM TV -- 3, 2, 1, Happy New Year!]

Adachi grabs Kurosawa's neck and pulls him closer. He descends his lips onto Kurosawa's for a kiss. Kurosawa's eyes widened at the gesture, his body froze, and his mind went blank. Adachi pulled out from the kiss, cheeks red due to his action. He rarely initiated a kiss, yet he did it perfectly tonight. "Happy New Year..," Adachi mumbles, almost a whisper because Kurosawa almost didn't catch what he was trying to say.