The Hedge

I’m late. 

-

Shit. 

The edges of her vision blurred as she tried to stand up on her feet. 

What?

Defeated, she slumped back down to the floor, closing her eyes as her head started to swirl in all possible directions. 

Why?

As she regained her composure, she slowly began to open her eyes. At first she saw only blinding flashes of light and dashing colours. Then she took in her legs sprawled out in front of her, covered by what appeared to be a white bed sheet. She looked closely, and noticed that it was covered in stains of scarlet red. 

…Where? 

Looking around, she did not recognise where she was. It appeared like a forest, with strangely coloured plants and vines that wrapped around trees in patterns that were almost too perfect to be natural. An eerie silence filled the atmosphere, and a low mist hung around, making it harder to breath and sending cold shivers down her spine. 

Can’t…

Vivid colours and shapes danced before her very eyes. 

…Breathe…

Illusions and dreams of rabbits and cards clouded her vision.

…Help.

It all went black.

-

“Ah, good! Great. Great. You’re awake.” 

Her vision was still blurry, and there was a steady drumming in the back of her head, as if someone was banging on her skull with a hammer. She tried moving, but her actions were too brash, so as she tried to stand up she found herself being pushed back down onto the bed she was lying on by an invisible force. 

“Wouldn’t try that if I were you.” The still blurry figure came closer and closer, its footsteps sounding like raging thunder on the wooden floor. “You took quite the fall.” 

A soft and painful moan was the only thing that she could answer. The figure laughed closely beside her. 

“Now, now. Try and relax. Your head will hurt a bit. Go back to sleep. You’re safe here.” There was a sort of ominousness to the words, but she could not help to be dragged back into a peaceful slumber.

-

Her dreams were filled with creatures that gave her a strange sense of fear and fascination. Dragons spitting fire whose flame was not orange or yellow but rather purple and green. Smells of sulphur and herbs paraded around the room. The strong taste of iron filled her mouth and she could almost feel the cut on her lip with her tongue.