The Promised Girl

It'll be almost eighteen years since I got this locket that I got from a girl that I always play with. We always meet and play back then, but there was a time where we would part ways since my family needed to move to a new house because of my father's work. I met up with the girl so that I can say farewell. She understood that we had to move and she gave me a "farewell gift" for me. It was a locket with a key. I got the locket and she got the key.

"To the day when we will meet again, we'll open that locket." She said to me as she smiled then she kissed my cheek and left.

*******

I'm already 26 years old and still attending college, still hoping to meet "her" again.

Ugghh... Another tiring day at school. I thought of killing my time at the coffee shop since it's cold and it's also December already. I went inside the coffee shop and ordered something to drink. I've also searched where to sit but it seemed like most of the seats were occupied, but I noticed a woman sitting alone at her table.

"Umm.... Miss can I sit with you?" I said as I approached her.

She stopped drinking her coffee the moment she saw me.

"Is that really you?! Akio?"

Huh? How did she know my name? Or maybe it's "her"?

"How did you know my name?"

"Hahaha, you silly! It's me Elise!" Then she showed her key for the locket to me. The key was the exact same one since the last time we met.

"E...lise" I hugged her because of the joy of seeing her again. That time we met talked all about what happened this past years since we last saw each other. We talked about how fun was college, meeting new friends and many more. We talked to each other until the shop has closed.

"You know Akio, I've been wanting to see you all these years since I really like you." She smiled at me like it was an angel's.

"A-ahh... Me too I've been looking for you these years too." I said shyly.

"You're so cute when you blush hihihi...... Let's meet here again okay?"

"I promise you." I said to her.

Then she said bye to me. Since it's already night, I offered her to escort to her house.

"You're so thoughtful even today. Alright I'll let you escort me to home" she said as she hugged my arm.

We also talked along the way. When we reached her house we said "bye" to each other and I also went back home.

This happened for a few weeks before something bad had happen.

As I get ready to meet with her again, I received a letter coming from her, it said, "Akio can you come at St. **** Hospital I need you right now. The room I'm in is Room 204.". I rushed to the hospital and went straight to the room she said. As I entered the room, I saw her lying on the hospital bed. I noticed there were lots of medical equipments like a heart monitor,oxygen tank,nebulizers etc. I almost cried when I saw her at this condition.

"Akio... Thank you for coming.... I'm in a critical condition right now. I only have limited time left..... I hope you underst---." Before she could finish I spoke to her.

"No! Don't be like that! We only met again a few days ago.... Please..."

"Akio, give me your locket. Remember the promise we made that day? We'll open that and see what's inside?"

I did what she said. We opened the locket and what was inside was the flower that I gave her the first time we met.

"Akio, I've been enduring my sickness these past years. I've been holding out because I want to meet you again. That locket and the flower will serve as our memories to each other. Akio.... I just want you to know that I really love you and I want to spend more time with you, but.... It looks like my body can't hold out long enough."

She reached for my hand and I held her hand.

"I'm sorry Akio..."

"I love you too Elise... I really love you. I want to spend more time with you. Laugh with you, cry with you, die with you." I sobbed.

A few hours later, I heard the noise of the heart monitor.... She's gone.

END