Chapter One

• Dedicated to Fern Cuevas

It was Christmas Eve. One of the days I disliked most. I disliked the day because the day after was Christmas. Honestly, Christmas used to be my favorite holiday, but 6 years ago today, my mom and dad died in a car crash, making me go into foster care. I was an only child so it was only me. I'm 18 now, and I live alone in an apartment. Rather old, I must say, but it's better than nothing. 

Crystallized water drops drizzled down from the sky onto the blankets of snow on the streets. I walked through the streets in my brown boots, leaving footprints in the snow, which I found rather entertaining. Most of the stores, besides Starbucks, were closed today, for the special occasion happening tomorrow. As I walked past the few bakeries and pizza shops, I reached the local Starbucks cafe. I looked through the window to see the first few tables unoccupied. I bit my lip, a bit grateful that the cafe was empty. 

I took my right hand out of my trenchcoat pocket and pushed the door open. There were a few people in the back of the cafe, sitting in the store for the free heat plus wifi. I walked up to the cashier, taking a five dollar bill out of my pocket.

"May I have one eggnog latte, please," I ordered with a smile.

"Of course. Name please?" the cashier asked, a cup and sharpie in her hands.

"Erika," I replied, handing her the five dollar bill. 

"That'll be $3.57," she said, giving me my change. 

"Thank you," I thanked, taking my reciept and change. "Happy holidays."

"You too," she replied. 

I sat down at a table, waiting for my latte to be made. I stared out the window and watched the snowflakes fall at a steady pace. About 3 minutes later, I heard a semi-deep voice call my name out. I got out of my seat and walked over to the counter where a guy with side swept shaggy light brown hair handed me my drink.

"Hey there, beautiful," the guy said as I took the latte. Blood rushed to my cheeks as I bit my lip. 

"Well, aren't you just a little charmer,"  I giggled, running my hand through my long blonde-brown hair. 

"I'm Justin, and I believe you're Erika?" he chuckled. 

"And you are correct," I smiled. 

"So, Erika, are you free on Friday?" he asked, sounding hopeful. I nodded while taking a sip of my warm latte. "Would you be willing to go for a stroll in the park with me then?" 

I spent a moment and thought about it, even though my answer was already going to be yes. "Um, how about a maybe?" I said, teasing him. 

"B-bu. Wha?" he stuttered. 

"Justin. Get back to work!" the cashier yelled at him. He jumped at the sound. 

"R-right. Sorry," he muttered, scratching the back of his neck. 

I chuckled lightly while taking a pen out of my pocket and uncapped it. Yes, I keep pens in my pocket. Who knows? Maybe one day I'll need it in an emergency. 

"Give me your arm." I told Justin. He hesitantly held his arm in front of me. I quickly scribbled now my number on his wrist. "Call me soon," I winked as I recapped the pen and took my latte. "Happy Holidays."