Chapter Five : Mike

I walked out of the captains office a little pissed but calm enough to think clearly. Why was he so adamant to close the case? Frankly, it annoyed me that he didnt think much more about it. I brushed the thought off and made my way to the filing room. Yeah, I wanted to look at the case files more carefully. And the order? To hell with it! It's not like I was gonna get caught investigating. Until now, no one had actually given a damn about it. It's not like the captain is gonna spy on me. I was thinking this, as I stepped into the filing room, and that's when I saw her. The same navy blue jacket, bent down with the Norson files all over the floor taking pictures. She was actually snapping pictures of the backstabber case files. Every single one of those pages. Meticulously. Well, these lawyers did have tricks up there sleeve. Argh! Why did I have deal with her? Why couldn't she just mind her own business?
" Excuse me, ma'am. You can't be in here. What are you doing? Those files are classified. ", I said it. Realising that she was caught, she rose slowly and then turned. "What do you think you're doing? These are confidential and aren't just some class notes to be photographed like that!", I went on. "Damn! How did you even gain access here?", I said making it clear that her presence was unwelcome. "And you know what, this is a serious violation and I can have you arrested for tampering with the files!", I went on.
To my surprise, she just smiled and said, "Okay, go on. Arrest me." I wasn't expecting that at all , I was hoping to drive her off, instead she had me pondering over what game she might be playing. She went on in her best 'I know you can't' tone. "Oh, I'm sure you'd like to arrest me but ah! Look at that. What a shame. Unfortunately for you, You've just been suspended by the captain. So tell me, how long detective?", She replied with a smug half smile on her face. Almost as if she were mocking me. I was quite amused by her craftiness, impressed even, that she'd called my bluff. But then I wasn't going to fold that easily. Two could play at her game.
" What in the world made you think that?" I asked, and watched as a flicker of doubt crossed her face. Not so cocky now, are you princess? I thought.
" Oh, and for your kind information, I wasn't suspended. ", I said, a little too defensively, I realised, a second too late, as I watched the doubt disappear from her face. The cockiness was back in her demeanour, and her voice, As she replied with a laugh said, "Do you think I'm an idiot? With what happened at the court today, I'd be dumbfounded if you still had your job, Detective. So, whats it? Two weeks or three? I'm gonna bet on three", she smirked.

Okay, now she was definitely mocking me. She was really smart. I could see why she was becoming a lawyer. I thought about it for a second. Should I really tell her? I couldn't explain why, but I had a feeling that the truth was better at the moment. I gave in. " Umm. You're wrong actually. Two it is.", I admitted smiling sheepishly. And this is exactly why, ladies and gentlemen , you should never let your guard down while talking to a girl. Especially if that girl was going to become a lawyer. As soon as I uttered those words, she took control of the situation. She waved her phone in front of me.
" I'm guessing you don't have access to these anymore either?" She asked. Taking my silence as an affirmative response, she went on. " Well, isn't that a pity?" She said. "And from what happened today, you don't think Bryan Norson is the real killer and you don't want to let him die for something he didn't do. Because you were the one who arrested him in the first place. ", she concluded her deduction. She was right of course. my mind went back to the day I made the mistake of arresting Bryan Norson.
He didn't struggle one bit when he was taken away, I still remember the pain I saw in his eyes as he shed a tear. I didn't know how it felt to be arrested in front of your loved ones, but I could still feel his pain and the fear in his eyes that his life won't ever be the same again. Of course, any cop would've made that arrest. It wasn't entirely my mistake. The evidence did point to him. I still remembered his daughter standing at the doorstep crying , confused at what was happening. And that was the worst thing that could ever happen to a father. Humiliation.