Chapter One: The Howling Blizzard

This is it? Is this the end? After everything I’ve been through, this is where I die? It was hauntingly comfortable to Amlug to think he would die so peacefully and quietly.

To say it was cold would be an understatement. It was deathly freezing. The only thing he could even imagine would be as cold would be the Ice Age that the humans ever so enjoyed talking about. But that too seemed like an understatement to him as he huddled helplessly under the tall willow tree. The thick roots swirling in and out of the frozen ground created a small alcove in which he could hide inside. The blizzard ravaged around him but the roots seemed to gather the snow, creating a wall as if the tree itself wanted to save him.

All Amlug knew was that he craved to be warm. He desired to feel warmth once more. The shelter forming around him, though useful, would only be adequate enough to keep him alive for a little while. It would only protect him from the worst of the blizzard ravaging the Elven lands.

It’s too cold…I need warmth. I need fire… Amlug kept thinking to himself, knowing that simply wishing for it would not help.

Something began to take control of Amlug’s body, or so it felt, but the more he willed for the fire the more his body moved on its own. Soon his body was in a kneeling position, arms out in front of his body, as if he was warming his hands over a fire. Fire! It was there in front of him! It grew slowly, ever so slowly it seemed, but it grew. Every few seconds the harsh winds of the blizzard would blow it out, but the more he willed for the fire, the larger and steadier it grew. Soon it became large enough that the winds could not blow it out, and the warmth was strong enough for him to feel once more, but the walls were shabby, and they needed a closing.

These walls are too small, the entrance needs sealing. Amlug found himself willing for something once more. And once more what he willed began to happen, this time on it's own. The walls began to thicken and smooth, moving as if the snow was alive and could here his thoughts. In mere moments the walls of the willow's small snowy alcove were thick enough to silence the winds outside, and the entrance was sealed. He would be safe in here until the blizzard ended, whenever that would be.

Amlug would never know precisely when the blizzard ended, for soon after his willing he began to fall into unconsciousness. He was weak and drained from the odd events which took place in front of him. Soon all was black and Amlug slept peacefully through the early winter's storm.

He hadn't known how long he slept, but he did know that when he had awoken the blizzard outside had stopped and the fire which he thought had been a dream was still burning, though melting nothing and setting nothing ablaze. Even the snow walls hadn't melted yet. Though the fires intensity was that of a furnace used to melt Elvensteel for armor and weapons.

Why is the fire still here? Had I really summoned it? I could've sworn it was just a dream. Everything that had happened, save for the blizzard and the willow tree alcove, seemed so distant and dreamlike that it couldn't have been real. Could it? Amlug found himself wondering about more and more, especially over the fact that the fire was still burning. I should probably put that out huh?

No sooner had he thought the words did the fire diminish. Shrinking the same way it had grown, as if it were nothing more than a lantern. When he checked the spot it was burning the snow which should have been melted was still there!

Taken back by the oddity which he could now sense Amlug decided it would be best if he started digging his way out of the alcove and finding his way back to camp.

It hadn't taken him long to reach the surface but when he had he wasn't quite sure he wanted to. The blizzard was only supposed to bring about a foot of snow but when he stepped out he was up to his shoulders in the fluffy white powder. The Elven lands were covered and everywhere he looked all was snow. The trees, the flowers, the mountains, the ground, where were they? All that could be seen, all that should be seen was snow before his eyes.

Where is everything? Where’s the camp? The camp…I should be able to find it, I’m an Elven Scout of the Ylissean Branch. I am no mere human. I can find my way again…Though Amlug thought this to himself he wasn’t so sure it was true. I have to get back and deliver my report.

With that Amlug set off, in search of the Scout Camp. Heading west, the direction in which he believed he came from.