Bonus Chapter - Darren at the airport

Darren at the airport

He hadn't even been looking for October and Parish when he spotted them.

Standing smack in the middle of the milling crowd, Darren's gaze had been flitting from person to person, trying to find his former patients when his attention had been captured by the sight of an extremely good looking young couple.

The girl was breathtakingly beautiful, with black hair that flowed freely in a thick curtain down her back and glowing skin that reminded Darren of a mocha latte. Equal parts coffee and chocolate. She was dressed in a peach colored crop top and high-waist denim jeans that had seen their fair share of wear, baring the tiniest strip of midriff. Her jeans were ripped at both knees, the hems frayed around the ankles of her black boots, and the color was bleeding in odd places, pale blue to lightwash denim blue.

And despite how worn her jeans were, how ratty they should have looked, Darren couldn't help but look behind her, expecting to see a line of photographers rushing to take pictures of the stunning girl. She looked like a model.

The young man beside her was almost, if not just as, good looking. In jeans and a brown graphic t-shirt, the man towered over most of the surrounding crowd – well over six feet tall. He kept tilting his head towards the girl, smiling at whatever she was saying as he ran a hand through his dark brown hair, pushing his bangs away from his eyes. His skin looked almost pale in contrast with the girl by his side, but on its own, his skin was lightly tanned, pale golden.

Again, Darren glanced behind the pair, noting the boys that paused to eye the girl appreciatively, and the girls who stared wide-eyed at the man.

And then he saw them.

Walking side by side, just a few steps behind the good-looking couple, pressed close enough that their arms were constantly touching, were October and Parish.

Darren froze, suddenly understanding that the couple he'd been looking at just moments before were the very people who'd been helping October and Parish these past few weeks. This was the girl with sultry voice, and the man with the rumble in his words. He was stunned. How had they managed to keep a low profile when they were in the company of two people who captured that much attention?

As if to put more stock to his question, one of the girls staring at the tall man collided into an airport security guard.

Darren watched Parish's gaze lift and lock onto him, spotting him in front of them, in the middle of the crowd. Tentatively, Darren lifted his arm and waved. Acknowledging his presence, Parish gently nudged October and caught the attention of their friends. He pointed at Darren.

The older pair halted. In unison, they looked at Darren, and then back to Parish before turning to exchange glances with each other. He was too far away to tell what kind of looks passed between them, but after a quick second, the two resumed walking – in his direction now. Parish and October followed close behind.

When they finally reached him, Parish was the first person to speak. "Hey, Darren. How'd you manage to leave the Institute so early?" He asked, lifting the strap of the backpack he was carrying higher up on his shoulder.

"Dr. Larkson wasn't feeling too well and left as soon as her sessions were over," Darren answered. "It wasn't too difficult."

Beside Parish, October's gaze kept flitting to something behind Darren, not paying attention to the conversation.

"Right," Parish said, with a nod. He gestured towards the couple. "This is Ace and Spade, by the way. Don't think you've been properly introduced."