112 || learn Arabic, speak Arabic

One of the reported instructions ʿUmar wrote to Abū Mūsā Al-Ash’arī and those under his governance during the former’s Caliphate was, “Seek knowledge and understanding of (fiqh) the Sunnah and seek knowledge and understanding of Arabic

One of the reported instructions ʿUmar wrote to Abū Mūsā Al-Ash’arī and those under his governance during the former’s Caliphate was, “Seek knowledge and understanding of (fiqh) the Sunnah and seek knowledge and understanding of Arabic.”

Ibn Abī Shaybah, Al-Muṣannaf Vol.6 p126.

It is reported that he said, “Learn Arabic, for it strengthens the intelligence and increases one’s noble conduct (al-murū'ah).”

Al-Bayhaqī, Shu’ab Al-Īmān Vol.4 p187.

It is also reported that he said, “Do not learn the language of the non-Arabs, and do not enter upon them in their churches on their festivals, for indeed wrath descends upon them.”

ʿAbd Al-Razzāq Al-Ṣan’ānī, Al-Muṣannaf Vol.1 p411.

It is also reported that he was once circumambulating the Ka’bah when he heard two men speaking in a language other than Arabic behind him. He turned to them and said, “Find some way to learn Arabic.”

ʿAbd Al-Razzāq Al-Ṣan’ānī, Al-Muṣannaf Vol.5 p496.

It is reported that Ubay b. Ka’b – Allāh be pleased with him – said, “Learn Arabic just as you learn to memorize the Qurān.”

Ibn Abī Shaybah, Al-Muṣannaf Vol.7 p150.

It is reported that Ibn ʿUmar – Allāh be pleased with them – used to hit his children for making language errors.

Tahdhīb Al-Tahdhīb Vol.9 p292.

It is reported that Shu’bah – Allāh have mercy on him – said, “Learn Arabic, for it increases the intelligence.”

Tahdhīb Al-Tahdhīb Vol.4 p303.

It is reported that ‘Attā b. Abī Rabāḥ – Allāh have mercy on him – said, “I wish I were fluent in Arabic,” when he was ninety years old.

Al-Dhahabī, Siyar A’lām Al-Nubalā', in his biography of ‘Attā b. Abī Rabāh.

It is reported that Ibn Shubrumah – Allāh have mercy on him – said, “Men have never worn a garment more beautiful than Arabic.”

Al-Bayhaqī, Shu’ab Al-Īmān Vol.4 p197.

4 p197