Meet Virginia

1974

The mansion was set aglow with the multiple kerosene lamps, Virginia didn't even remember them being lit, though. She was too immersed in his story. The button on her tape recorder blinked in red, still recording every word.

Virginia sat with a cocked head and a raised eyebrow. "All that...for a sketchbook?"

Nicholas smilled to the ground, "I still don't regret what I did that day, but I will never, NEVER steal again."

Virginia giggled, then proceeded. "What about Adele? Doesn't she...persuade you, or something?"

"Oh, she tried, and tried, and tried again. But one time, it went too far." Nicholas glanced around, looking out the window across the room. "But that's another story. Shouldn't you be on your way?"

Virginia sat oblivious for a moment, as soon as she looked out of the window filled with stars and night, she stood abruptly, gripping her tape recorder as she gasped lightly. "I have to go." She rushed out the doorway, almost walking down the staircase, but then she reminded herself, bringing her back to the doorway of the studio. "What time do you want me back?" She asked as she popped her smiling face through the doorway.

"I didn't think you would come back."

Virginia stepped into the room."I have to finish this. And soon, I don't have much time on my hands." She rushed her way down the stairs.

"Not much time? What do you mean?" Nicholas shouted to her.

Virginia heard him from downstairs, but simply tried to dismiss the thought. She closed the door behind her carefully as she ran out.

The winter air outside was still and dry, irritating Virginia's nose and throat, but she was used to it. She trotted down the steps and began her long trudge to get home.

Virginia felt every tree as she passed it, wishing she could be in the forest all the time, but her day would always lead her home. Sounds picturesque, right? Not for Virginia. Every time she stepped through the doorway, it just brought back more despair, and reminded her of what her life really was.

Her home was a simple Victorian cottage, with a more modern interior, Virginia paid no mind to her surroundings as she crept up to her room upstairs.

Her mother, however,was in the dining room close by. She wandered to the small staircase before Virginia finished climbing it. Virginia jumped when her mother put a hand on her shoulder. "Vee, where have you been? Were you in the woods again?" She questioned as she followed Virginia up the steps.

Virginia turned around, looking down at her mom as she stood on the lower step, a sour expression painted on her face."Why does it even matter to you?"

Her mother sighed, "I want you with me for now. This...transition will be hard."

Virginia gawked "Transition! How is this any way a transition!"

Neither spoke for a long while, her mother staring up at Virginia, Virginia staring down at her mother.

Her mother's face grew long, as tears welled in her eyes. "I love you." She whispered in a cracked voice. "Forever."

Virginia's chin quivered, as she looked into her mother's eyes, she stood, with her shoulders loose, and her chin raised "it dosent matter. Not anymore." Virginia turned, and raced up to her room, hiding herself away from her mother. Virginia leaned up against the door of her room as she closed it, and turned the lock. She held her head down, trying to hold back the tears.

Don't cry. You don't do things like that. You're tough.

And her mother leaned against the door from the other side, feeling the simple slab of tan wood, wishing she could dry her daughter's tears.

Virginia sighed shakily, walking over to her mirror, and sitting at the stool.

She examined herself in the mirror. She felt like it had been ages since she'd given herself a long look. Her eyes were misty and blue, illuminating the tears that slowly fell down her cheek, and disappeared as quickly as they came. Her long, blonde hair shimmered in the reflection, she stopped to stare at it, daring herself to touch it with her hands half-raised. Her palms sweated, her hands shook, then after a moment in concentration, she pushed herself from the vanity, rubbing her eyes, and collapsing to her bed. Fresh sobs filled the sound in the room, and she laid there, the whole night, sobbing and screaming, 'why did this happen, why did this happen?'.

Her mother was sitting at her door, a hand cupped over her mouth, trying to keep herself calm, but she couldn't, there was nothing she could do. And that was what hurt both of them the most.