Chapter One

A/N: Um, surprise? 😅 I've actually been loosely planning this story for about 6-months and just got around to writing the first chapter last week 😂.

I have a mostly clear direction of where I want this story to go, but I'm also extremely busy with work so expect sporadic updates (although, some comments would help motivate me to write even faster 😉)

This chapter is a little on the slower side, pace wise but everything should start to speed up soon.

Anyways, I hope you enjoy this American Revolution IronDad AU and please don't hesitate to tell me what you think! 🥰💞

Disclaimer: I do not own Spider-Man or any related materials.

__________

"But since it falls unto my lot,
That I should rise and you should not,
I gently rise and softly call,
Good night and joy be with you all."
— Liam Clancy, 'The Parting Glass'

__________

The cannonballs seem to rise up as high as the sun, streaming across the sky in a haze of smoke and flames.

They slam into the sides of the hills, grass and dirt exploding with the impact, demolishing anything in their path. The hoarse screams of the men float up above the battlefield, the sound of gunfire starting up again just as the clouds finally break, spilling rain onto the already muddy land.

A bolt of lightning snaps the air in half, the hot flash of light illuminating the deep stretch of the trenches.

Men sit, their clothes rags and their faces hollow. Old guns are at their sides, caverns of rusted metal and splintering wood, blood-stained and rotting as they sit, crouched in the water.

Each man flinches at every strike of lightning, the whites of their eyes glowing as they all glance up and around, their gazes coming to rest on him as though drawn like a lonely moth to a blazing flame.

They look at him like they expect him to rise up with the graces of God and smite all in their path.

Sometimes, he even suspects they see him as a God.

"Hustle up, boys!" He suddenly shouts, his voice straining to rise up above the crash of cannons. "We can't give up just yet. Attack!"

But General Anthony "Iron Man" Stark has already started to give up.

And it's gonna take a hell of a miracle to get him back into the fight again.

__________

"Peter, it's time for supper!"

Looking up from the bucket of dirty water sitting at his knees, the boy quickly throws down his brown stained towel as the voice of his aunt echos through their small barn. Patting the horse he had just finished cleaning on the side, the 15-year-old takes a second to stretch.

"Just a second, Aunt May!" He shouts back, quickly wiping away the dirt that stains his hands as he straightens back up.

Tossing the rag back into the bucket, Peter walks quickly out of the building, blinking in the golden light of the setting sun. Stuffing his hands into his pockets, the boy shuffles down the dirt path to their small house, listening as the wind rustles the grasses around the yard.