Chapter Nine

Soon, Penny, Sonic, and Tom were on a road trip to find Sonic's rings!

Tom was all about business, and he started asking Sonic questions while Penny tried to get comfortable in the seat. "All right, pal, you need to start talking right now. Who are you two, and what are you two?"

"Penny and I are hedgehogs!" Sonic said. "I feel like that's obvious."

"To you, smarty-pants." Penny teased. "But not to others."

Sonic shot Penny a look, and she giggled a little. He shook his head a tiny bit and turned back to Tom. "And I'm in BIG trouble. And Penny will be too if the doctor finds out about her."

"Oh, and you're in big trouble?!" Tom frowned. "You're not the one who punched some sort of government weirdo back there!"

"You think you have problems?!" Sonic said. "I lost my rings!"

"Rings?" Tom asked. "What are you talking about?"

"Rings are how all advanced cultures travel between worlds." Penny said quickly, taking Sonic's words out of his mouth. Sonic punched her lightly and she giggled a little, and allowed him to do the rest of the talking. "Penny's right." Sonic said. "And now mine are on top of a pointy building that I've only ever seen on your skin-tight tee shirt."

"Hey." Tom said, looking sternly at Sonic.

Sonic continued, "So, I'd like you to take me and Penny to San Francisco, so I can get my rings back and use them to go to the mushroom planet."

Tom looked like that was the weirdest thing he ever heard. "Mushroom planet." He sighed, shaking his head.

"Yes!" Sonic said.

"Right." Tom sighed. To my surprise, he pulled over at a curb. "OK, pal, take your girlfriend and get out."

"I'm sorry, what?" Sonic looked surprised as Tom opened Sonic's door, and I blushed when Tom said "girlfriend."

"Look, this is the worst possible time for me to get myself into trouble, OK? You asked me to save you and your girlfriend's life, and I saved your lives. Now, please, go find your rings, and your mushroom land. Hopefully I'm going to wake up in a hospital bed and the doctor's going to tell me my colonoscopy was a big success, OK? So goodbye."

Penny's ears flattened sadly as Sonic pulled himself out of the car and pulled her in his arms once again. "OK, goodbye." He said.

He stood there.

Penny looked around, feeling awkward a little.

"Why aren't you leaving?" Tom asked.

"I don't know where San Francisco is." Sonic pointed out.

"It's west." Tom said exasperatedly.

"West?"

"Straight shot, can't miss it."

"Fine. That's cool." Sonic said. "I'm totally cool on saying goodbye now!"

Before Penny could say anything, since she have been silent for a while, Sonic dashed off. And almost an instant, they were back. Penny blinked in surprise. It happened so quick that she didn't know where they were. They noticed the strange smell of sea water, and a star fish was attached to her, along with a small strand of seaweed sticking to her quills.

Sonic stared at Tom.

"So, as Penny and I crashed into the cold, dark water of the Pacific, I realized a few things. A, I have no idea where we're going. B, salt water stings, and C, I shouldn't even be on this planet, but I am. Why? Because YOU SHOT US." He snarled angrily at Tom. Penny looked at Tom apologetically.

"I know." Tom said guiltily.

"YOU SHOT US!!!" Sonic said, his anger getting the best of him. Penny gulped silently. She hated seeing her friend get angry. The female hedgehog wiped her eyes as another trail of salt water triggered down her face, and she winced on how it stung. Sonic was right about the ocean.

"All right, I heard you the first time." Tom sighed. "You don't have to pile it on. Good grief."

"We're wet, we're cold, THERE ARE SEA CREATURES ON US!!!!" Sonic pointed to the random creatures that were crawling on the two hedgehogs, and Penny noticed for the first time that there was a fish flopping around on his head. "And clearly I am not going to be able to do this on my own."

Tom sighed and looked at them. The star fish and fish finally dropped from them to the ground, and Penny gave him pleading puppy dog eyes. Tom sighed. "Fine. Get in the truck."

"Really?!" Sonic smiled, and he shook his fur off. Penny yelped in surprise and giggled as water droplets flung everywhere. Sonic smirked back at Penny, and she giggled as she stared at his fluffy body.

"I guess this is my fault for letting this happen to you and your young friend." Tom sighed.

"Not a little bit. Entirely. ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT." Sonic accused Tom. Tom sighed. "OK, it is entirely my fault. Are you two coming?"

"Absolutely!" Penny smirked as she climbed into the backseat. "No more crazy dark stingy sea water for me!"

Sonic laughed at her remark as he climbed into the front seat. He shook his shaggy fur until he was his normal self, and he got in and closed the door, whooping, "Road trip? Whoop Whoop!"

Tom sighed. "What am I doing?"