The Kitchen Table

I don't know how long today I sat on the couch looking out the window. I can tell you I noticed the rain as the day turned into night. This was your favorite type of weather when it looked the most awe-inspiring. I went to the kitchen and grabbed a mug and poured some coffee. I then sat on the dining table. I moved the papers I had on my side of the dining table as I sat down. Looking over at your side, it was still pristine as before. In your absence, I cleaned your side, so you didn't think I had forgotten about you.

This table was one of our first things we had bought and brought into our home. I remember our first dinner. I had worn my favorite outs. You all day at work and I had spent the day cleaning and dusting. I wanted to make you a fancy dinner, because at the time we didn't have the money to always go out. I wanted to show you how appreciative I was for you and you always working outside the home. I made the fanciest meal I could think of spaghetti bolognese. I had set up the candles around the dining table so it would look alluring. Everything was going smoothly. I had dinner out and the table set just with enough time for the food to cool and you to come home to a hot meal. I sat down and waited for you to come home. I wanted to be there when you had the surprise on your face. I didn't mind as sometimes with traffic you would take a while so I just sat there. Sitting there, I must have dozed off.

I awoke to the door, which I must have accidentally locked, being fumbled about trying to unlock it. I noticed that most of the candles were out. I fumbled with the matches trying to alight some more and I got maybe two before the door opened and there you looked surprised on your face.

"My love," you always started that way when you were going to apologize, "I tried calling to tell you I was going to be late but I couldn't get connected."

You looked around, and a smile formed. I interrupted you before you could talk. "Go back outside. I'll tell you when you can come in." My eyes pleaded with you. I knew you had worked all day and more than likely wanted to come home and relax.

You sighed, still smiling, nodded and still jacket in hand walked right back outside. I quickly went around replacing the candles that wouldn't be able to light anymore and relighting the dining table. I put the spaghetti in the oven so it could warm up a bit. And after about 5 minutes of you standing outside, the house was ready.

I opened the door, "Good evening, my darling. Let me take your coat. Dinner should be ready within the next few minutes so we can eat then."

I took your coat to the closet and hung it up and turned on the record player. Turning toward you, I walked to you and asked if you wanted to dance. We danced while the dinner was warming up. That night was one of my favorite things we did together. And this was the table where we had our first proper dinner together in our new house.

Thank you for being my dancing partner.