Prologue - Adrienne

The rain falls in horizontal sheets, soaking everyone around me to the skin. I tilt my face to the sky and smile before ducking under the nearby bridge. A few of the Others have built a fire, and one of the boys glares at me.

"What's your thing with the rain?" he snarls.

"It's pretty," I reply curtly.

"It's not," he insists. "It's making our lives a misery and someone's going to come after us."

"It keeps the monsters away," says one of the girls timidly.

I tilt my head arrogantly. "Exactly. Thank you."

I lean against the wall, rubbing the water from my skin. One of the younger girls scoots away, not wanting to be near me. I smile, all teeth.

With a few harsh thoughts, the rain eases a little, and the leaks in the roof stop, leaving the occasional drip. I get flashed a few half-smiles and I'm beckoned towards the fire. I shake my head. I like the cold.

The storm outside rages. I leave everyone else to their own pursuits, strap my pack and my sword to my back and walk away.

The ocean isn't too far away, and the sound is deafening. A woman with a camera crew isn't too far away, speaking about the freak hurricanes smashing the coast, ones they don't expect in August. Her eyes cling to me as I walk past, dry as bone, grinning like a maniac as I kick my shoes off, stepping into the surf.

Despite the desperate attempt to drain my strength, I fight the weakness. I have no need to train my other powers - the city sees the aftermath every day. But this is a problem, one I may face.

Reyna Avila Ramírez-Arellano sent a messenger last week. Some sunny-natured kid called Madison Harper. Said they were starting a war, and they thought I'd enjoy it.

"So, Dad," I grin, staring at the depths. "You looking forward to the show?"