Chapter One

"Hey Imani, Ash is on line 1," said Terri, my best friend of ten years.

"Ok thanks lovely," I said as I walked to my desk to pick up the phone.

"Hey babe"

"Hey baby. So I know that we were supposed to go on our dinner date tonight, but I have some things that I need to take care of at the office and I won't be able to make it, I'm sorry."

"Hm, I'm sure you do. Look Ash, I'm really sick of this. You've been cancelling on me for months now! We've barely spent any time together because you are supposedly always at that damn office! I mean I know you're a big time attorney and all but no one works that damn much!" I was so tired of her always making up these lies about her always working and cancelling our time together because she wanted to fuck with her slutty ass assistant, Laura. That girl was literally the epitome of a hoe. She knew that Ash and me were together, but that didn't mean shit to her. She was always all over Ash like she was a god or some shit. I knew that they were fucking the minute I did the laundry one day and noticed that Ash's clothes smelt like the cheap ass perfume Laura wears. I also knew by how much Laura called Ash. I know that Laura is Ash's assistant but damn, no assisstant should call that much, especially when their boss isn't even on the job.

"But babe, I really have a case that I need to prepare for tonight. Listen, how about tomorrow you and I go to the mall and I'll take you shopping to get whatever you like?"

"Oh please Ash. You always think that taking me shopping is going to make shit better when it's not. I know you're lying to me! I have some things that I need to take care of right now so I don't have time to deal with your foolishness. We'll finish this later," and with that I hung up.

I was so tired of Ash trying to butter me up by taking me shopping like I'm some gold digging side chick that's only with her for money. I had my own money, and lots of it. I could take my own damn self on a shopping spree anytime I wanted to. Today may just be the day that I end it with her because I am so sick of her lying and fucking around with Laura. I was so stupid to even let it go on this long from the time that I had even started to become suspicious. Every time I would ask her about it, she would always come up with an excuse and would think fucking or taking me shopping was going to solve the problem. It worked for a while though, because Ash really did know what she was doing when it came to us fucking. But regardless of all of that, I'm tired of being cheated on and lied to. No one deserves that.

I sat in my desk chair and sighed. As upset as I was, I knew I had to put all of that aside and focus while I was at work. I didn't like for my employees to see me in that state. The environment that I created for the magazine was the same environment that I created for my office space, relaxed, and that was exactly how I wanted to keep it. I would deal with Ash and her lies later.