Chapter 6: I'm Pretty Sure Coffee Isn't Supposed To Do That

Four hours in, things got a teeny bit uncomfortable.

I mean, imagine being squished in between six other demigods in a stuffy little van for what, 40? 42 hours? We had to make a stop sometime.

Argus unloaded us for a moment at a gas station. Piper, Kayla and Percy immediately rushed into the gas station to buy road trip snacks. I stayed outside with Annabeth as Jason and Nico walked in slowly, discussing some game called Mythomagic. I'd heard of it, but I didn't understand it at all.

She flicked me in the head, and I glared back at her.

"You're welcome."

"For what? Were you trying to make me turn into a tomato?"

"Psh!" She scoffed. "Everybody knows road trips are the best way to get close to someone you like. If anything, I'm doing you a favor."

"Favor. Right, right."

She rolled her eyes. "You're a pain."

"And you're a clown."

"Okay, Mr. Star Wars."

I stuck my tongue out at her as Piper dashed out, holding a bag stuffed to the brim with candy, chips and sodas.

"I got the goods!" She yelled, overexcited. Annabeth looked at her with a mixed look of apprehension and humor. Percy ran up behind Piper.

"And I've got most of the drinks. Will, you like Dr. Pepper?"

I shrugged. "Meh. It's fine."

Kayla showed up behind them, panting. "You guys couldn't wait for me? I have all the a Little Debbies."

"Nah. We couldn't. Should we get in the car?"

"No. Jason's still in there," I reminded him.

"Oh yeah. Forgot about that."

We waited for a couple minutes before Jason and Nico walked out, Jason holding a slushee and Nico a giant— way too big compared to him— cup of coffee. Like, I'm talking about one of those Big Gulp sized cups. Massive. From the looks of it, it was straight black coffee. Did he plan on drinking the entire thing?

Upon getting in the car and pulling out of the gas station, I pulled out my notebook and scribbled out a message.

Hey, are you okay? Are you sure you can stomach all that coffee? :(

I tore out the page and handed it to the boy sitting beside me. He brushed a strand of dark hair behind his ear as he read. After about a minute, he took the pen from my hand and started to write.

I studied the note after he handEd it back. Compared to his handwriting, my handwriting was flowery and soft. His was military precise— sharp, neat, and in all upper case.

YES. WHY?

I thought for a moment and scribbled again.

I was just wondering. Drinking that much coffee isn't good for you.

OH. OKAY. I JUST DON'T WANT TO SLEEP. COOL THINGS TO SEE OUTSIDE. SORRY.

No, no, it's fine! :) I just wanna make sure you're okay.

OKAY. THANKS I GUESS.

Don't mention it! :)))

With that, he crumpled the note and stuffed it in his pocket. I blinkEd for a moment, before turning to the window. 'Cool things to see outside?' I wasn't buying it.

"Just so you know," I mutterEd, loud enough for only him to hear, "nightmares are common. Don't be ashamed of them. I understand."

He froze for a moment before pretending he didn't hear me. I smiled and continued to look out the window.

* * *

Eight hours in, and the sun was edging towards the horizon.

I'd popped out my hearing aids and slept for a good majority of the past four hours. When I woke up, Kayla was still passed out, Piper was drawing in Sharpie all over her arm, Jason was sleeping quietly, Annabeth was reading a book in Greek and laying in Percy's lap, and Percy was listening to music and running his fingers (somehow) through his girlfriend's thick, knotted golden curls.

I wasn't jealous. I wasn't. 

I noticed Nico wasn't doing too well. He was staring at the front armrest/storage chest and shaking.

I tapped him gently on the shoulder and scribbled out a note.

Are you sure you're okay? You're shaking :(

AM NOT, he wrote back. IT'S JUST THE CAR.

I really don't think it's the car, but okay then. Be that way >:(

WHY DO YOU EVEN CARE?

The question caught me off guard. I haltEd for a moment before answering.

Because it's my job.

He snorted upon seeing my comment.

OKAY, DOCTOR MAN.

I stuck out my tongue at him and folded the note up. A small smile formed at the edge of his lips.

The next hour passed without fanfare as well. I didn't put my aids back in for a while. Upon putting them back in, I realized Kayla had woken up and started singing along with the radio. Jason stayed asleep as the sun crawled closer to the horizon. Piper had moved from her arm to her paper, and Percy and Annabeth were still being nauseatingly adorable.

Nico was still shaking.

"You need to sleep," I whispered to him. He seized up. "You can't just stay awake for 45 hours."

"I can," he whisperEd back, "and I will."

"No you won't. Go to sleep. That's a doctor's order."

"Gods, you're even worse now than in the infirmary."

I smiled. "Always looking after my patients."

Another hour crawled by, and the sun was now just beyond the horizon. Nico was hesitantly closing and opening his eyes every fifteen minutes, but eventually he gave up and fell asleep— using my lap as a pillow.

I glanced back at Annabeth and sign 'Help. Me.' slowly. She stifles a giggle and returns to her book. I reached over and flicked the hardback cover, getting her attention again.

'No. Help. What do I do?'

'Let him sleep.'

Subconsciously, he graspEd for my hand. I made a quiet squealing noise.

'Annabeth!'

'Will, just chill out.'

'But this has never happened before! What do I do?'

'Just like... brush his hair with your fingers gently. Gently.' She signed the last word with great emphasis.

'Okay. Okay.'

I turned back to the sleeping boy in my lap. Piper stifled a smile as she doodled on her sketch pad. She suckEd at 'real art', but doodling was her specialty. At least she was having fun.

I steeled my nerves and started brushing his hair back with my fingers. Naturally, it wouldn't be a me moment if some part of me wasn't glowing. Luckily, it was my fingertips, and not... something else. (Last time that happened, my entire cabin tied sweatshirts around their front to mock me, instead of behind them, for two weeks. That was really, really embarrassing.)

His disgruntled expression softened ever so slightly as I continued. To really sell the deal, I hummed quietly. The same melody I'd played at Camp, before we received the prophecy. The one I didn't know the name to. His face relaxed completely. A deep sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach had me thinking I'd know the name of that melody very soon.