For Dad

If you had a childhood, you most likely had a childhood obsession. Maybe it was a short lived fascination. Think of your favorite tv show, one that I could put on right now, and drive you to nostalgic tears. And way back when, it probably drove your family crazy. Maybe it was an ongoing phase, a cringeworthy life chapter that you don't dare re-read. 

That's okay. We don't have to talk about it. 

But I promise, you definitely have a forgotten favorite thing, something seemingly small, that meant to world to you once upon a time.

As I've gotten older, I have realized that it's unrealistic to hold onto all of these childhood fascinations. Crazy, right? I have also realized how much effort my family and friends exerted to take part in the fantasies and fandoms. At least, they did so around gift giving seasons. Christmases, Easters, and of course, Birthdays... were a testament to whatever "thing" I was immersed in at the time. I don't even know why some of these things mattered so much to me.

Fads change. Favorite movies come and go. But looking back, it is the loved ones' gestures to partake in my favorite things that meant so much. It's the memories that matter. 

Arguably, my most notable childhood obsessions occurred in the second grade. Maybe this obsession was not "worse" than the others, but it manifested in terrible outbursts of "tap dancing," and a request to watch one movie. It was the year 2007, and if you lived with me, you were lucky to go one day without walking by the TV and seeing animated penguins. 

Do you remember the Dreamworks musical, "Happy Feet?"

Well, my family does. Along with my second grade classmates. And second grade teachers .And basically, anyone who came in contact with me during 2007, and had to watch me "tap dance." My obsession got to the point where that year, everyone gave me my birthday gifts in "Happy Feet" bags. This backfired on their part, because you can only buy so much merchandise of one movie.

I'd examine their non-penguin related present for a good two minutes, then, spend lots of time pressing the music button on the five dollar bag. One bag played "Boogie Wonderland," from the iconic ending scene of the film. I made sure to flip the penguin side over my to face, and show off my "tap dancing" skills again. You could have gotten me any present in the world, but if you brought it on a Happy Feet bag, the bag would win my love.

I was so happy, my merchandise was enough, but not for long. My birthday was right around the corner. Build-A-Bear Workshop had released a Happy Feet character line. The main penguin, Mumble, was an adorable baby bird with bright blue eyes and a fuzzy grey body. His head was a shimmery black shade, thus a perfect neutral color for all the clothes I would spoil him with.

There was no question about it, Mumble was going to be mine. Or so I thought. My 8 year old birthday was right around the corner, and every single store had sold out of Mumbles. Maybe it's because there was no internet at the time, we just did not realize how many other children were part of the tap dancing penguin cult that was my life. We didn't rush initially, thinking Build-A-Bear should have an ample supply of Mumbles. This was the big movie of the year after all. Weekend after weekend, my Dad and I explored a new mall, only to be let down. 

HOW could they not restock by now? What is this madness?

We realized, maybe this movie wasn't as big of a deal to others as it was to me us. Maybe we missed our chance.After the 3rd sold out store, I began to blame myself. I reflected on everything I did that year, searching for what God awful mistake I made to deserve these. Let's see...I beat "Happy Feet" the videogame, totally nailed the choreography from "Happy Feet," saw "Happy Feet" three times in theatres, reenacted "Happy Feet" with Grandpa, memorized the lyrics from "Happy Feet, I cannot see where I went wrong.