Older

Brecco raced alongside his packmates, spittle flying from his jaws. The sight of the moose after moons of famine only increased his drooling. He was saw the small flick of a tail and in an instant, they all changed course. The moose began to lose speed and at that very moment, they went into attack speed. He flew through the air, like a flash of flame and sunk his fangs into the moose's hide. Brangwen snapped his teeth into the Moses flank. And a macdongeal wolf cut through the life pumping artery, at once killing the frail creature. The eyes became glazed and the head rolled back as it died. Brecco crouched and looked deep into its eyes. The act of lochinvyrr was a sacred ritual all wolves did, which ran deep into the marrow. This instinct was stronger than any desire for the blood of prey. It felt important to let an animal know it's life was valued and would sustain them all. Everything seemed to slow down.

Until at last, the captain of the pack howled loudly into the silence. The note sliced through the air and the wolves snapped out of their trance. The wolves sat in a neat formation, all eyeing the animal with their hunger increasing when chunks of meat were torn and given to their packmates. Brecco could hear his stomach roar. They all were starving, but even then he still had a nice sleek coat. He did not look frail at all. His pelt plastered to his ribs but his dominating look was held. And a chunk from the moose landed at his paws with a plop. It was not so big for they were all starving and the prey itself had poor hunting. He ate it, rather swallowing it whole. He felt too hungry, too tired to chew. He just wanted to feel the warmth of the summer moons.

He still felt hungry afterwards but tried to ignore it. Lately, all wolves had been treating the other like a gnaw wolf. Rank seemed to be lost and they constantly fought with another. They stole shares of the kill from their packmates and others had joined the skaars dancing. It was certainly exhausting only thinking of that thing but doing it was unbelievable. They starved themselves and talked nonsense of leaving spirit food for the prophet. Whatever they believed, they were happily dying for it. It seemed a blasphemy to the great chain in Brecco's eyes. They died of exhaustion in their slow dance or became unconscious and buried through the snow drifts. Other times out clanners from the scorned outermost killed these wolves and ate their flesh. For even when food is plentiful, cannibalism was common there. They were thriving on all this skaars dancing nonsense. He saw them, and not one looked like a fragile skeleton with fur clinging on to their bones. In fact, they were fat plump wolves whose scent reeked of foul smells. It was only natural they had a foul scent that was incomparable to any wolf of the beyond.

His littermates, Ian and Serene still kept to their personalities, thankfully. At least not everything had to change. But the beyond constantly shifted around. And thats when if by lupis it happened. The earth shook and Brecco felt as if he was flying. He couldn't find his paws and the world blurred around him. He landed onto the ground with a thud and could see one last glance of the ground beside him opening up from the earth, probably leading to the dim world.