Intro - Jobs

What sort of jobs are we geared towards?

Your careers teacher will say to get into IT and computer science. All about the future.

Your teachers may encourage STEM subjects. Fitting with the system.

Your parents? Business, Law, Medicine, Electives. They'll always expect you to do better than them or equate to the career level they have if it's high enough.

They understand however. And will accommodate all sorts of your lifestyle choices. As long as it follows their principles.

Of course we may all have that angry passionate fluttering inside us begging us to leave the system. So you can draw? Become an artist! Draw, Paint, Produce! Act, Sing, dance? Perform!

Well it's all wrong.

These are all well for hobbies,distractions.. but you will never get away with this sort of career.

There is exceptionals of course. People who managed to break through the media. Celebrities. But even that's after failing.

Singers aren't as recognized for their voices as much as their faces and body's are. They warp their voices to accustom to our taste. Why is nobody fitting our taste to their voice?

People succeed in the creative industry with smoke and mirrors. Tricks, money, deception.
Do not pursue a career in a creative talent expecting to gain access to a successful life.

Be prepared to make efforts to move in with a friend in a one bedroom squalor flat.

Having the anxious sickening feeling in your stomach and on your shoulders whenever you draw money from your account.

Watching as your tuition fees are built up alongside the expense of living in the city.

Small irish towns don't fare well with creativity so expect to move to Dublin,London,New york. Expensive living, eating, surviving basically.

Then anticipate the feeling of your first failure.

Being told you're not good enough for the college.

Knowing full well, it isn't motivation or tough love. Nobody cares for you in this business and they don't need slackers. They make room for others.

As for the rest of the expectations it really depends on how suitable the world is for your talent and the amount of work you put in.

You could get back up, work harder than ever and graduate your talent school. What then? Where's the fame..?

Lucky breaks are not so common.

Humans are essentially geared towards survival.

We don't need a prestigious university to hunt animals or use a stone and flint to make a fire. We don't need expensive supplys to express creativity in cave painting. And we do not need perfect grammar and literacy to connect as human beings.

However it is "The future" and we are put into schools preparing for a world none of us can even comprehend.

We have no idea what the world will be like in 30 years. 20 years. 5 even. We're blindly learning Shakespeare's plays or on the creative side, practising vocals. For what? What are we learning for?
The only jobs the Irish Education system suits is college professors.

really, it is.

It is tremendously flawed and we as a whole need to reflect. We can only guess what our futures hold but we can ask the question of where we see ourselves in OUR futures. See if our futures will connect to those around us. To ideas around us.