Prologue

The day was pale, almost pearlescent, as it broke over the dark, shimmering waters of the Hudson. A ship undulated with the flow of water, faint voices mumbling sleepily as its passengers filed out onto the deck of the Dame Amrei, a ship captained by an old Swiss captain who was said to have sailed his ship through a hurricane.

Whether that story was true or not, Henry Morgan did not know. What he did know was that the captain was tough and short-tempered, but a likable man nonetheless. Henry stood on the deck of the ship, leaning over the railing of the ship, his head tipped towards the sky, breathing softly. His breath misted faintly in the chilling, wintry air.

There was a moment of thought.

He felt foolishly - humiliatedly, even - of his own choices, but he knew what he'd done had been right. Whether the people he'd abandoned would understand or not, he wasn't sure. But they had to. He'd given up a lot for them, to save them.

Henry Morgan turned towards the gangplank of the ship, which was being laid down as the anchor sank to the ground with a heavy, vibrant thunk. He smiled uneasily at the familiarity of the cityscape around him. He still knew exactly where he was.

Abe tottered up from belowdecks, with their suitcases in tow. Henry took one, and together, they strode over the pale wood, and into the concrete, steely facade of New York City, New York.

It had been ten years, but Henry Morgan had returned.