Tainted Diamond

(AUREINE)

Chapter I:

The Beast Descends

"Until we meet again, Carville." 

Words whispered in my ears slowly faded as the darkness slit with the horizon of light rays. That dream again. It had been three years since I've been dreaming that. I was staring at those eyes until my sight failed. The warmth had turned slowly cold. Voices around slowly faded in loss of time until my sense of hearing was lost. Everything was dark. Everything was cold. Until that voice echoed its whisper. Whenever I try to reach to it, I come to wake. Those words... 

"Aureine?" three knocks at the front door followed Mrs. McFin's voice.  

I set aside my beddings and headed downstairs. Mrs. McFin was about to knock again on the door when I opened it.  

"Oh, dear. Thank goodness. I thought you're not home. I was gonna ask for this month's payment." 

"Oh, payment," I tried to smile but when I realized its turning to fake, I just scratched my nape.  

"Let me guess, your salary's not yet released." She sighed. 

"I'm sorry, Mrs. McFin. George was one of the passengers of the White Pearl. He was still missing." George was the one to deliver our wages every end of the month. Since we live in this small island close to the Gulf of Mexico, the main company of our factory has to send our wages with George via shipping. And just yesterday, the White Pearl was engulfed with the said whirlpool in the news. And all the workers in the factory were completely hopeless right now.  

"We don't have much choice, do we?" Mrs. McFin sighed again. Then she turned her back and headed to the road again. I felt sorry for Mrs. McFin. Their only income is their apartment for rentals. And the electric bills and taxes are scheduled to be paid tomorrow.  

"Mrs McFin," I called out. She turned her head back. "I'll pay you with half of my rent for your bonus so please cheer up." I gave her a wink then close the door behind me. As the door clicked lock, I slapped my forehead with irritation. I didn't have that much of salary for this month. What would become of my food budget if I were to give another half of a month's rent as a bonus? I would surely starve. 

"God, Aureine, you're so stupid!"

Molly nudged my stomach with her elbow. "Hey, did you hear? The chairman of the company is going to go here personally. " 

"Really?" I was surprise to know it. I didn't expect that the chairman would find time to be here just to distribute our lost salaries. 

"It was said that they were also finding someone on this island." Molly answered in her low voice intended for my ears only. 

"Why are they finding someone in an island this small?" Somehow I found it fishy for such search. Just the thought of the chairman being here in an island for a search sends my brow rising atop. But since it doesn't concern my business, I shrugged it off my head. 

"Rumors said some ex-convict was trying to escape such judgment that he tried to reach the smallest populated island possible." She shrugged. I could see her terrible goosebumps. "What if that ex-convict would knock on our door and slaughtered all in this island?"  

Just then, the bell rung, indicating our work time has ended. Slowly, the employees crowded the exit doors. I waited in my place for them to finish. I don't have that much of a time to struggle with the heat of a near stampede employees and their sweat's smelling around there. I'm tired, too tired to mingle with the hurrying people. Then, there is this thought of overtime. Shall I? No one is waiting at home. Besides, I promised Mrs. McFin another half of a month's rent. It's enough reason for an overtime work. A foolish decision led me to another suffering.