Episode 6: Rainbows

Trigger warning. This entire chapter revolves around Ryuko's miscarriage. I milk this topic a lot, but it's honestly important to the story of the Kamihara's and why the girls are protected the way they are. This won't be a joke, and will be a serious chapter. If it turns out offensive, tell me and I'll delete the chapter.

————————

The Kamihara family sat around the dinner table, completely silent. They were eating takeout like they do everytime they have a family meeting. It was common to have family talks. Once they had one about moving, which they never did because the girls were opposed to it. It's a time for everyone to speak of what they think. This time, both Ryuko and Shinya were quiet and Ryuko looked distraught as if she were holding back tears.

Megami was quiet. Daenerys was quiet. This was the day they finally learned why their mother and father were so overprotective. They knew it couldn't be good. They had known this. They didn't ask, just so they didn't upset them.

Eventually growing tired of the silence, Daenerys spoke up.

"Is tonight the wrong night? We're not exactly talking." Daenerys asked. She was nervous. She had never seen her mother this upset.

"Sorry... It's really painful." Ryuko mumbled. She was trying to find words for what they were going to say. "Shinya, can you start? I'm not ready." Ryuko whispered, her voice shaking.

"It's alright. You don't need to talk about it if you're not ready." Shinya said, wanting to calm her down. He took a deep breathe before beginning. "You two are old enough to understand this now. We planned on telling you a few years ago." He sighed. "You're both aware of what a miscarriage is?"

Megami and Daenerys were shocked by that question. They both knew but, if it needed to be asked, they were sure it meant something.

Both girls nodded.

"Well, your mother was pregnant before both of you. While I was out on a patrol, I got a call from your mother. She told me, that she had just lost our son. I almost immediately left my patrol to be with her. This was only a year before you were born Megami." Shinya explained.

Megami was shocked. She thought it was something completely different, like something dumb she had done before she could remember. Like when she was two years old. She remembered getting kidnapped when she was younger. Her father killed a man, she couldn't forget that, but she certainly didn't expect to be a Rainbow Baby.

Rainbow Baby:
A child born after the mother suffers a miscarriage. The Rainbow after the Storm. The opposite of this is a Sunshine Baby, the baby born before the miscarriage.

"I am so sorry. It's my fault that we are so protective. It's like you two hardly have any freedom. Can hardly do things you enjoy. It's because I'm scared of feeling that same pain again. It's not an excuse, but I am just scared. It's my fault." Ryuko said. Her body trembled as tears fell into her lap. "It was something unavoidable. I know. I know. But it hurts so much." Ryuko cried.

"Ryuko, its not your fault. We were both scared. We were both over protective of them." Shinya said, letting her place her head on his shoulder. "We aren't trying to guilt trip you two. We just want you to know why we have been so protective over you. We're sorry, and we'll try to be more lenient with you girls."

"I... It's ok." Megami said. It was easier for her to forgive, knowing why she was protected like this. Daenerys, she didn't know how to feel. It was easier for Megami to forgive because she was the one who was coddled since she was young. Premature, born after a miscarriage, the favorite.

"..." Daenerys didn't know what to say at all. So she stayed quiet. Just so she didn't hurt them anymore.

"Megami, I love you. Daenerys, I love you." Ryuko said, looking at her daughters, reaching her hands out. Megami grabbed hold of one, Daenerys didn't. Ryuko used the hand Daenerys didn't grab, to clutch Megami's hands. "You are both blessings to me. To us. We are so happy to have you both, and we want you to know, that we will always love you. No matter what you do." Ryuko said.

Megami stood up to go over and hug them.

"I love you." She cried. Megami was always a bit sensitive. Daenerys not so much.

Daenerys was frozen in place. Thinking she was selfish. Her mother had been very protective. She got hurt once and she was almost pulled out of Volleyball. She hardly had the freedom to go out on her own. It was understandable but still. She hardly understood her parents jobs. She hardly had the freedom to do anything. She felt like she was treated like a baby. She was ten years old now. Her sister was sixteen.

"...I love you both, but the past ten years of my life have been me being sheltered. Did you know I hardly knew what villains did? I only knew how much of a danger they were when those villains attacked my school trip. You kept things about the society we live in away from me for so long." Daenerys said. Ryuko took a deep breath.

"I know. It was wrong of us, and if you have any questions about the world you live in, we'd both be glad to answer." Shinya said. "Anything. We're both horribly sorry that we've done this to you Daenerys."

"Thank you." Daenerys whispered. She stood up and walked over to her parents to hug them as well. "I'm sorry. I was selfish for saying that."

"It's ok. Don't worry." Ryuko cooed, brushing her youngest daughter's hair behind her ear and stroking her face.

"We're both so happy to have you, and I'm so proud to be your mother."

————————

This was really sad omg-

It's called Rainbow because of the term Rainbow baby. This is probably one of the saddest chapter's we're gonna have. We'll also have the introduction of Roman soon.

Did y'all like this chapter? I tried to keep it very serious and as realistic as possible.

This is making me cry, omg-