Stop All the Clocks

Brett Shelton's hospital admittance was the last straw for her.

She has tried to give him patience. She has tried to give them both patience. But she cannot take this any longer. Worst of all, she cannot take the way they continue to hurt each other like this. She knows that this only has come to pass because either Chucky has finally confronted Andy and Andy has rejected his proposal, or because Chucky has not confronted Andy and has become frustrated. Either way, now she is frustrated.

Glen notices when she picks the twins up from school, her finger tapping the wheel and her impatience with the other drivers a clear giveaway. She sees him looking at her through the rearview mirror, and she gives a soft smile, but she knows he can see it in her eyes. Glenda doesn't seem to be phased in the least, prattling on as usual and digging through her backpack for some gum or candy or a toy she most likely pick pocketed from a classmate.

She doesn't talk much, driving them home, but Glenda does most of the talking for them anyways, as she always does. Tiffany listens, but she mostly hopes to herself that Glenda never loses this passion, and this vivacity in life. She hopes that the spark stays for the rest of her little girl's life.

She also hopes that she can find Charles quickly, if only to smack him hard enough to knock the stupidity and stubbornness out of it.

It's a Friday, which means the kids will want to put off homework until Sunday. She'll order pizza for them to eat for dinner. The girl down the road has offered to babysit before, and she seems like a nice enough person, and strong minded enough to manage twins. She can leave money for anything they'd need, and then she can take the road trip she needs.

Glenda jumps out of the car, already ready to play and feel the freedom of the weekend, but Glen stays behind. Tiffany feels his hand slowly snake into hers, clutching onto it in his usual vice-like grip.

"Why are you leaving, Mommy?" he asks, not even doubting the idea that she was thinking of leaving. His hand squeezes tighter when he says her name.

She squeezes back. "It's time to go see Daddy, that's why," she responds. "He needs a little help."

She feels Glen shrink inside, and she knows that he hates it. She doesn't know if Glen will ever love or trust his father again, after what he put them through. She will never blame him for feeling the way he does, but it still hurts sometimes, when she thinks of what they could have been.

She can only pity Andy Barclay. It's a sad life for him, being the only one who can undo Charles- and so, is the only one who must.

She knows she needs to go now. That man probably resists, even as he is compelled to stay close. Just from observing from afar, she already knows that Charles is spiraling, and she cannot wait anymore.

"I'll be back soon, baby," she tells Glen, leaning down to kiss his forehead. Glenda is calling for him from inside the house. He doesn't say anything back, but he lets go of her hand and runs towards the door, shouting back at his sister, and she knows that he will be alright. She sighs and follows them into the house.

She digs through her purse on the counter and searches for the girl's name and phone number. She crosses her fingers in hopes that she will not be busy or out of town. The phone rings, once, twice, and she is ready to give up when she hears the familiar click and a voice on the other end.

"Hello? Yes, it's Ms. Valentine. You remember how you said you were willing to watch my little angels for a while? You don't suppose you're still up for it, do you?"

A quick kiss good-bye to her kids and one more expression of immense gratitude to the babysitter, and she is on her way, the engine roaring over the sound of her thoughts and the radio. Traffic is atrocious, as she could only expect it to be, but she tries to keep her patience by consistently reminding herself that she is always one step closer, even if the driver in front of her seems to think that the I-94 is for cruising and enjoying a slow pace.