Chapter 6 - Shizaki's Insight

1

"What is it that you wanted to talk about?"

With her hands crossed over her chest, Sayaka Uehara eyed her classmate with her back against the staircase. The rather cramped space just beside the staircase was not the most private of locations, but it did provide ample space away from the crowd.

At the very least, Kazuki knew that they did not really stand out and that their voices would be drowned out by the chattering that signifies dismissal time.

"It's about last night. You know, when I accompanied Kimura and all," answered Kazuki.

"Last night? Oh! Care to elaborate on the date you had last night with her? Must be a fun time going out with a celebrity," replied the black-haired girl while giving a smirk. "That should explain why she didn't show up to class today."

"Uehara..."

"You wouldn't have done anything indecent to her, right?"

Now facing Amagi's anticipating glare, Kazuki put a palm over his face.

"I wouldn't give this guy that much credit," chuckled Uehara. "Speaking of, you still owe us both an explanation for that whole thing with her. What's up with that?"

Kazuki caught himself at that question from Uehara. He had completely forgotten about it, and whatever attempts he had at coming up with an excuse were gone, largely thanks to how much happened last night.

"It's a long story, but let's just say that I just wanted to make up to her for some things. Let's get back on topic. So, what happened last night was I had to accompany Kimura to South Quinn Street."

"So something really did happen between the both of you."

"T-that's not important now, Uehara!"

Kazuki was not sure whether that did the trick, given the looks on the two girls' faces, but he quickly followed it up in order to divert the topic.

"Lots of things happened, but a Fragment opened up, and I found her inside, along with a Class B. The strange thing is that the Class B just disappeared. I shot at it, but none of my attacks seemed to work. Then, it just disappeared."

"A Fragment?" asked Amagi. "We could have helped, Arata."

"There were no signs of any developing ones in the area, though," followed Uehara.

"That is what worries me. I cannot help but feel a sense of déjà vu with the whole situation. Remember the last time something like that happened? Where a Fragment just quickly grew in magnitude and sucked people in without any warning?"

Uehara took no time at all to answer. "The series of incidents with Dr. Shin Kagami."

It was an easy answer. The last time something like that happened, it was the direct responsibility of the mad doctor. A master practitioner he was on the medical field, he also had sinister motives, using the Fragments as a place for him to continue his unethical research practices.

"I'm afraid it's something like that again." Kazuki nodded solemnly.

"What makes you so sure?"

"Because I already have a prime suspect."

Acknowledging the astonished expressions from the two girls, Kazuki took a deep breath and began.

"When I exited the Fragment with Kimura, her manager was right there. I am not so sure what to make of it, but it was as if she had been lying in wait. Plus, she came with those suspicious-looking guards that you often see in TV shows or what."