Can't Have A Dream

Casey walked to and fro in her room. She was so surprised with all the things her parents said to her. "Why can't I decide my career?" she told herself. She was angry and upset that her parents forced her to study harder and become a doctor but she wanted to become a geologist.

Her phone rang and Reena's name flashed on the screen of the phone. She looked at the phone and her frown changed to a smile. "Hello, Reena," Casey said into the phone. "Hi, Casey, I called you to ask you whether you are going to the movies or not?" asked Reena. Casey thought for a while and realized that her parents won't agree to it. "I am going to the movies," said Casey.

That evening, when her parents and her little brother were busy, she decided to sneak out of the house. Casey tip-toed to the main door and nobody noticed her. After a while she reached the movie theatre. Her friends were waiting for her. "I am so glad that your parents allowed you to come to the movies," Reena smiled. Casey felt a slight guilt rising in her but she shook it off.

Years passed and Casey was not open with her parents. She sneaked out of the house now and then and lied to everyone. In her mind, sneaking out was the only way she could do what she wants. Her parents started to get suspicious of her whereabouts.

After Casey completed her high school, she went to the university to become a doctor but no one knew that she was studying to become a geologist secretly while becoming a doctor. She also had a secret boyfriend that not even her closest friends knew. She was scared to allow anyone to know about the things she was doing.

After years Casey completed both her courses. But she was stuck between which job she has to work. If she stayed in her own town, her parents would find out so she decided to move out of town. But her parents forced her to stay. The words, "Can't have a dream" roared in her mind repeatedly. She then decided that she should tell about her boyfriend.

The next day, Casey went to her parents who were sitting on the living room sofa. "Mom, Dad, I need to tell you something." "Yes, sweetheart," said her mother softly. "The thing is I have a boyfriend and he wants to marry me. He is a nice and kind boy who has a good job," said Casey slowly. "We have to meet him, first," said her mother very strictly.

Two days later, Casey's boyfriend came to her house. Casey hoped to see a welcoming parents but it was different. They had a strict face and kept hands folded on their chests. It seemed that they are investigating a criminal than meeting her lovely boyfriend.

"What do you do for a living?" asked Casey's father. "I am a civil lawyer," said Casey's boyfriend. That answer drained out the color from Casey's parents' faces. "Sorry, son, we cannot approve this marriage," said Casey's father.

This caused Casey to push her boyfriend away. She didn't want him to get hurt because of her parents. Casey started working as a doctor and she didn't get a chance to work on her dream. She was struggling with the urge to break out from her house but couldn't.

After some days, she came home late and tired. The work at hospital increased a bit and her parents had been forcing her to specialize in a branch. She came into her room and lay on her bed, facing the ceiling. She was stressed and wanted just to leave her life. She was tired.

Without knowing she was walking out of the room, she walked into her backyard. She knew she didn't have a control over her body anymore because she was physically and mentally tired. After walking for a while everything went black.

Casey's parents wondered where she was and looked everywhere and saw her lying on the backyard of their house. Casey had scratch marks all over her. They took her to the hospital immediately. Casey's parents were very scared.

After checking Casey, the doctor said, "She is awake now but she has some stress issues. The marks clearly tell us that she scratched her body but she didn't know what she was doing. And her eyes are a little red. That tell us she didn't sleep for days." Casey's parents looked at each other and entered the room where Casey was lying.

Casey was horrified when her parents entered. She thought they will yell at her but instead they sat near her bed and asked her everything. At first she was scared but she told about the dream to become geologist and it was crushed by them and she cannot survive working as a doctor. She hid her face and cried.

Casey's parents face showed frightening look for a second. Her mother spoke up, "I am sorry dear, we really didn't mean to hurt you. We were so enthusiast for you to become a doctor and marry a well-known man that we didn't realized that we were crushing your dreams and pulling you away from a happy life."

After 7 months, she was working in a geographical department. And now her loving boyfriend is her husband. And these she did with her parents' permission. Her determination to get the work in the field she is interested led her to her dream job but otherwise she would have been stuck in a job that was stressing her out and nothing else.