Chapter 1 Reflections

Kao was glancing at the curtain covered windows of the room, the sunlight subtly shining through it. How beautiful it was he thought. He switched his attention to the mirror in front of him, his eyes were swollen almost blood shot. Kao was breathing heavily, his body intense from quickly packing his belongings. He was about to leave this house that belongs to him and Pete. Their bedroom was the largest room in the house, the largest Kao has ever lived in. The walls were a faint robin blue with their memorabilia on one corner, out and proud. The Pete/Kao tumbler was the quintessential center of it all. Kao's mind was still racing from recent events that lead to this moment. He thought this will never ever come, but it did.

    It was smooth sailing after his accident. Kao had a great position at The Arctique now, and the hefty amount of money the family of Nan paid him for the damage that was done to him was more than enough to establish himself back up. Pete was elevated to junior board member at the same company. Pete's father's investments were never in vain as the company quickly hit gold soon after. Kao was surmising the fact that it took almost losing his and Pete's life to actually live a very comfortable one.

     Kao was still looking at himself, thinking if what he's about to do will be the best option. His heart was bleeding, bewildered from the events that just transcended recently. He turned away from the mirror and stared at the bed where he and Pete sleep every night for a few years. This place was their kingdom, where the orca and polar bear were to be living their happy ever after, but it all led to this moment now. No turning back, Kao thought as he glanced upon the two plane tickets that were in the bed.

     It started a couple of weeks back when he happened to answer a phone call for Pete. Pete was in the shower and let Kao answer the ringing phone. It was his secretary from Arctique and reminding Pete of his meetings for the day. Kao hang up and noticed the series of phone call logs on Pete's phone. A name he couldn't recognize. "Feang." Kao placed down the phone and tried to recollect that name in his memory. Pete got out of the shower, and immediately approached Kao. Pete planted a kiss on Kao's cheeks, ever so gently, so loving, and he wrapped around his hands on Kao's waist. Pete stared at Kao's eyes with longing and much happiness. Kao felt Pete was being hard, pressing against his. "Such a perv" Kao jokingly said. "Is it still perversion when you get turned on still by the one you love?" Pete answered back and planted a kiss on Kao's lips. That was the last time Kao remembered when he passionately made love to Pete. It was fiery and eternal, like neither one of them wanted to stop.

     Kao forgot about the name not until he overheard Pete actually talking to him over the phone. Unintentionally hearing the details of the meeting, at a certain café in Bangkok, a new one and Kao has never been there. He wanted to check who that was and even wanting to ask Pete himself who Faeng was, but Kao would always place his trust on Pete and that, that was nothing. Then one day as Kao was doing some errands at the mall, he saw Pete being hugged by someone. It was only his back that he could see and tried to pry who it was. Kao kept inching his way towards Pete and his company when he noticed something was missing aside from the shopping bags he was holding. Kao hurriedly went back to the store he came from and searched. His attention shifted quickly from Pete and searched some more. Kao exclaimed a sigh of relief when he saw him finally. "Toey!"

     "Papa Kao!" The kid exclaimed. Kao immediately embraced the kid. "Were you waiting too long for Papa?" Kao asked. "No Pa, I was watching this" the kid pointed at a monitor in front of him showing colorful graphics that kept the boy busy for a while. "Lets go home na?" Kao asked Toey. Toey smiled at his Pa and kissed him on the cheek. Kao's heart melted in guilt for almost leaving Toey behind.

     Kao's heart started to pound furiously as he started to pick up all his packed belongings as the brightness of the sun outside mellowing. He turned back to the mirror and there near it the bear that He and Pete created during their collage days. He approached it and pressed its belly. "I Love You Kao" the bear said. Tears started to well on Kao's eyes. "Kao?" He heard a voice from outside their bedroom, a voice so familiar even Kao's soul could recognize it. The door opened and Pete stood there looking around the luggage Kao has amassed. The plane tickets on the bed. Pete could taste the tension in the air as he entered it, his eyes wondering what was happening. "What's the matter Kao? Talk to me please?... Are you leaving me?"

     Kao just stood there his eyes closed, mustering his last strength to take the next step. But Kao could only hear his breath slicing through the silence between them. Pete was waiting for Kao's response. Pete was relieving the moments in his head what he did wrong, and the moments how Kao changed so much the past weeks. Pete tried to approach Kao, and Kao stepped back away from Pete. Frustrated, Pete tried to tug the bag Kao was holding till Pete noticed another hand holding him.

     "Dad Pete?" Pete looked at the boy who was holding his hand and peered through his eyes. "Toey!" Pete said and knelt down and faced him. Pete noticed Toey's eyes. And looked at the small bandage on his forehead and tried to rub it gently. "Does it still hurt baby Toey?" Pete asked. Toey just shook his head from side to side. Pete shifted his glance to Kao, who still hasn't moved from his place. Their eyes met finally, remembering the day why Toey needed to have a bandage on his head.