Chapter 8 The Calm

The smell of firewood was hovering in the air as the woman fixed the blanket of Sandee who was still sound asleep. The woman would run some errands on the nearby town, bringing along the mung beans that Sandee helped to prepare and other produce that they farm in the forest adjacent the small hut they live in. The woman trekked the forest with certainty. She knew every nook and cranny there was to see. Moments later, she arrived at the road, not too far from where she found Sandee years ago. She reached the small town's market place as the sun was rising in the horizon. The sounds of a bustling market were slowly filling the air. She reached her first destination, an elderly man selling dried beans and fish. She reached a bag full of items to him. The man smiled, reached to get the bag and immediately paid the woman. She went on to her next stop, a family of four who were all tending their small store. The mother waved at the woman and reached out to get the wild basil she was bringing. She paid her after that but as the woman walked away, the mother called her back and gave her a plastic bag with something wrapped in paper inside it. "Here, I have spare palm sugar, you can bring this home with you" the mother said. The woman thanked her for her generosity and then she went on with the rest of her errands.

Kao slept soundly that night. He woke up in Pete's arms and he missed these moments for quite some time now. This was one of those mornings that he doesn't want to get over with. Kao was looking at Pete's profile while he was asleep. The man he loved all these years, a house they could live peacefully in, a child they could call their son, Kao realized how blessed he was. He gently kissed Pete's cheeks. He almost forgot how soft and supple Pete's cheeks were. It's been a while since he was this close to him and this morning, he appreciates him even more. Kao reached inside of Pete's pajamas and held his warm chest, caressing it, feeling Pete's heart pounding steadily. Kao's eyes were closed as he does this, trying to sniff of Pete as much as he can. "Perv" Kao suddenly heard and he immediately removed his hand, sat up and covered his blushing cheeks. "Why did you remove your hand? come here Kao, do it longer please" Pete teased. Pete then sat up behind Kao and embraced him from behind. "I miss you" Pete whispered and kissed Kao on the nape. They were just making the most of the moment when Toey came in and jumped to the bed. Wearing his pajamas still, Toey lay down and placed his head on Kao's lap. "Mownin Papa Kao... Dad Pete" and smiled at the two people who raised him all these years.

It was almost eight in the morning when the woman arrived back at the hut. She could see the table now prepared with breakfast as Sandee enters the hut from the backdoor, holding two metal mugs of hot tea. "Breakfast!" Sandee invited. The woman still can't believe that Sandee's voice was back and now speaking steadily. The woman was a bit different today. She was very observant like as if something might happen soon. She placed the stuffs she bought from the market on another table including the palm sugar, now rid of the paper that was wrapped around it earlier. "Sandee? Can I ask you something?" The woman asked. "Uhmm" Sandee nodded. "Do you still want to see you child?" The woman asked bluntly. "Of course" Sandee answered. "But you know you have to get in touch with the people you've ran away from first right?" the woman countered. Sandee fell silent. "Why are you asking me this?" Sandee asked calmly. "I just thought about it, you told me you want to see your child, Toey, but in order to do that you have to face everyone first." The woman reasoned. Sandee nailed by the truth was silent again. "Come on lets have breakfast Sandee" the woman invited and sat beside Sandee. "It's going to be alright soon Sandee, let's have faith that it's going to be fine..." she assured.

Pete and Kao went on with their day. Pete went to the office straight to work, while Kao dropped Toey to his mom to be tutored and bonding time as well with her, then he's off to the site along the outskirts of Bangkok where a new project was being built there, an annex of the Arctique. This was one of those days when both Pete and Kao are working, and Toey got used to this set up already. After all, he enjoys time with his grandma tutoring him. The day went on and the working day done. Kao placed his hard hat on the table and rolled all the blue prints that were being discussed earlier. It's time to head home he thought. He called Pete's secretary asking if Pete was still there but the secretary said he left earlier than usual and he just made him cancel the rest of his meetings. "You know where he's headed at?" Kao asked. The secretary simply answered "Beans of Siam Café."