Wedding - pt 2

Please vote and support. Thanks 😊

Mom woke me up at 4 am. I groaned and said "Ma, 10 more minutes please." Mom took the blanket away and said "Sam, get up. Now" I huffed and got up. I held her hand and hid my face in her stomach. She kissed my head and said "Kutty ma, va (Dear, come)" I hummed and went to the washroom to brush my teeth. Mom arranged another nalangu as per the traditions and soon after that, I took a shower. The makeup and hair artists were ready for me. I greeted them and they started their work. I requested for a very simple makeup and for the hair, we decided on a floral bun, just like how my mom had hers for her wedding. Soon enough, I draped a silk saree and I was ready for the rituals.

In the meanwhile, Kashiyathra (the groom decides to go to Kashi to take sanyas and celibate his life) had started. As per the ritual, the father of the bride prevails him from the thought of going up and accept his daughter's hand for marriage instead. And as soon as the groom sees the bride, he agrees. Harsh jokingly said "No no uncle, I am going. Sam, I am going. Ok?" I laughed and said "Sure, please go. Hey, is there a handsome guy for me here to get married right now?" and waved him bye. Everyone laughed and Harsh said "Uncle, get her married to me right away". 

We did the Varmala - exchanged the garland twice and for the third time, Vishnu and Advay along with my friends and my mama pulled me away from stopping Harsh put the garland on me and challenged him. Harsh tried hard and when Vishnu realized Harsh was going to win, he and Advay lifted me. Vishnu screamed "Harsh, go away. I won't give my sister."  My friends joined in too and said "Yes. Go away". Harsh laughed and said "Never". He signalled the men in his family, and they lifted him too. After a few attempts, he put the garland around me. It was my turn and they made it even harder. Vishnu and my mama lifted me again and I put the garland on Harsh. After that, the priest made Harsh hold my hand. Then we were taken for the oonjal (Swing). We enjoyed the swing for a few seconds. Then the ladies gathered and circulated some coloured rice and threw it around us in all directions as a symbol that wards off all evil eyes. Then they washed our feet because as per the brahmin traditions -  the couple are considered as Lord Vishnu and Goddess Lakshmi.

We were taken inside the hall, and after chanting some verses the priest told us to say, they instructed Harsh to bless me. Harsh smirked and I slightly elbowed him. We followed the ritual and he blessed me and gave me the bridal 9 yard saree to wear. The ladies took me to my room quickly while the thali (nuptial thread/mangalsutra) was taken around and touched by all the elders for their blessings. Everyone were given flowers so they can throw it around us when Harsh ties the thali. 

One of my aunt helped in draping the 9 yard as I had no clue how to drape it. After draping it, I was brought again to the hall. The priest asked dad to sit on a chair and told me sit on dads lap. Dad was teary eyed and I was teary eyed too. The priest asked Harsh to repeat what the priest will say. He said "You will have to keep your promises you make to her father" Harsh nodded and repeated each verse the priest said. The priest signalled my uncle that it was time. My uncle gave a signal to the melakaar (people who play marriage percussion instruments) and Harsh showed the thali from the stage to the guests as a symbol of getting permission. I looked at Harsh when he tied the thali around my neck and a tear fell from my eyes. It was a moment of realization that I am married. Harsh tied the first knot, and the rest two knots were tied by Niti and Vasundra Amma. Everyone blessed us by throwing flowers. Harsh wiped my tears and kissed my forehead and said "I will keep my promise wifey." I lightly smiled and I saw dad was crying too. He was crying with joy and sorrow. Joy that his daughter is married and sorrow that I will be away from him. Mom was crying too and she hugged my Chithi. I saw Vishnu crying and my cousins were consoling him. It was a very emotional moment for everyone. Paati cried and hugged mom and said "Our little Sam is no longer little. Look at her, she is a married woman now". We took our pheras after that. Later, Harsh made me wear the metti (toe ring)