Chapter 17: Revelations

The men who entered Vincent's home were nothing like I'd imagined they'd be. I was willing to bet their alpha was on the edge of his late twenties. I'd even go as far as to say he was reaching into early thirties territory. I wasn't going to bargain any age above that. If the odds were he was older than either of those ages, I'd have been shocked. I knew for sure Alpha Kai, as they addressed him, was much older than Vincent though.

Shoulder length dirty blonde hair, blue eyes, and a natural resting bitch face, that was just as intimidating as Amaruq's stoic expression, were all of the features that made up Alpha Kai's appearance. He'd made eye contact with me once before entering the large meeting room with five other men, whom I figured, were a part of his pack.

He was the perfect example of what humans would call; a man who didn't age.

The meeting room was a room downstairs to the side of the house, just in between the living room and the kitchen. I hadn't realized that area was really just two massive doors that led to a large room. I thought it had just been a blank wall. But they were all occupied there now.

"One. . . Two. . . Three. . . Four. . . One. . . Two. . . Three. . . Four. . ." I walked up and down the last four steps, counting each one aloud repeatedly. I glanced over at the doors once more, then it was back to counting.

When Alpha Kai met my gaze, that was the last time I'd seen any of them for the last hour, as Vincent and his crew slithered in behind them. Vincent may have asked me not to disrupt, however, he hadn't said anything about me roaming the house. So, I guess standing around out here was okay. But I was so damn bored.

Suddenly, one of the meeting room doors cracked open. "Do you need any help, Lady Teresa?" I heard someone ask. There was a hand gripping the doorknob from inside while a figure slipped out of the thin opening. My first instinct, for whatever reason, was to duck on the stairs. And I sat quietly, watching the scene play out.

"No, no. Thank you, Dimitri, but I've got it under control. Go ahead and don't let me distract you." Lady Teresa's brown, closed-toed heels were loud against the floor. Her eye shadow was the same color as any other day, matching the long, light brown, sleeveless, wool dress she picked out to wear today. And her hair was knotted into a neat curly bun.

I held my position and watched her enter the kitchen. She dug through the cabinets, grabbing a box of what looked like a variety of chips. She opened the refrigerator, pulled a tray full of small club sandwiches out, and closed it back. Then, she stopped.

"Genesis, would you like to help me?" she called out.

"Oh shit." I had almost toppled forward onto the floor.

"Language," she scolded.

I swore again under my breath and steadied myself. "Sorry, sorry! How'd you know I was here?" Scrambling to my feet, I spun around the corner. My face scrunched as I realized the question that left my mouth. "Wait, never mind. Don't answer that. That was probably stupid."

She paid me no mind and crooked her finger. "Come," she said, a stern expression settling on her face. I was set under a spell by the hypnotizing melody in her tone. My feet followed the path to where she stood in the kitchen.

"I wasn't eavesdropping," was the first thing I blurted.

Damn, why did I say that? She hadn't asked me about it. But that overwhelmingly, breath-taking aura of hers was making my heart leap again. I hated that I felt the need to explain myself whenever she was around.

She went on, ignoring my comment, "They've run out of refreshments in there. So, I'm preparing more of them."

"Oh, restocking? Got it," I said.