Chapter 1

Not your average GEEK

“Dinner’ll be ready by 7, don’t be late or yours’ll be in the bin. And if you are late well then you know that you’ll be grounded for a week without any TV!” I hear my mum shout as I’m heading for the front door with my purple and black polka dotted backpack. You’d think that by now my mum would have realised that I can keep track of time and not be late without her threatening to ground me, like she always does. I’m on my way to the library to study for the history project we were assigned today in school. It doesn’t have to be in for 3 weeks.

As you’ve probably guessed my parents or should I say mum’s strict about what time I have to be in by, but that’s how it’s always been ever since my dad left us almost 9 years ago. He calls once in a while, like on special occasions such as my birthday or Christmas. She doesn’t say it out loud but I know she blames me and makes my life hell without even realising it. What could an 8 year old girl have done to make her dad leave? I think it was because my mum wanted everything her way and didn’t let my dad have a say. I’ve learned to just ignore my mum and her strict ways.

Don’t get me wrong my mum is a good mother (even if she blames me for my dad leaving.) She does care about me, well most of the time. She’s normally at work 24/7. She’s an interior designer for one of the best known companies in the UK, but when she’s home she’ll do what she can to help me, like if I need a new laptop she’ll get me one, but only if it’s to do school work on. She pushes me too hard to get good grades in school. She banned me from watching any TV for a week once (like she just threatened to do) just so I could study to re-do a test I had and get an A because I had an A-. She only does this to make sure that I get good grades so that I can get into a good university, which seem reasonable to me. It probably seems harsh to you, though.

As you’ve probably just figured out by my saying ‘going to the library to study’ and how much getting A’s on tests means to me (my mum) that I’m one of the geeky girls you know the one. The one that always does her homework and hands it in weeks before it’s due, the one who does extra credit stuff even though I don’t need to. In my (my mums) opinion you’re only as good as your grades. Not that I’m bragging but I’m a straight A student. I’ve never had anything lower than an A in my life (A- doesn’t count it still has an A in it), and I’m not planning on ruining it.

I might be a geek but I sure as hell don’t look like one. I might seem like one from what I just described but my appearance is completely different from the average girl geek you see on TV and in movies. I wear mostly black, I have green eyes that my friends sometimes say look like wolf eyes, I don’t wear glasses (even though I’m meant to wear them, I don’t) and I don’t even wear skirts. I hate skirts with a passion. If I could I’d have dyed my hair brunette hair black years ago, but like I said my mum’s strict and won’t let me dye it until I move out. I can’t even wait for that day to come. Only 8 more months left in this hell hole and then I’ll be out of here and in university. I smile at the image of having freedom.

“Okay mum see you later, love you!” I shout as I close the door and lock it.

I take my phone out of the back pocket of my black skinny jeans and put my earphones in, putting my playlist on shuffle. I start to walk down my drive and onto the street. I look around the street I grew up in, and remember all of the good memories that I’ve had over the years. I pass by the Mrs Thomas’ house and wave. She waves back with a small smile.

The library’s about a 20 minute walk from where I live, so I have enough time to listen to some music to let off some steam before I have to study like a mad woman. I hate studying (even though I am a geek and proud) but we all have to sacrifice a part of our lives. Mine, well I’ve sacrificed the fun part of my life which is going to parties and getting drunk (even though I’ve heard that the hangovers kill, I’d still love have drink). I sacrificed it for getting straight A’s.