Chapter 1

Chapter 1

The Blind

It was an accident yet it couldn't change the regret I felt. The remorse of what happened ate me up. All the 'what ifs' of our relationship brought me nightmares. All of their consolations, condolences, and condemnations gave me an excuse to live.

She shouldn't have died.

We should've been married.

We should've been happy with wonderful children.

I should've been there when she reached her dreams.

I should've been there with her beyond the end of life.

Yet here I was, still despairing, still regretting, still living with the extension of a life that should've been hers.

Ah. Hindi ko alam kung bakit pa ako nabuhay.

Nothing, no one gave me a choice to choose to end this miserable life. I should live for her. She won't be happy if I'll just waste away the new chance given to me. She won't forgive me if she only lived.

It's funny how such a petty misunderstanding led to the end of our future together, just extinguished without reason. It was just a usual date when that happened. There was this unknown girl who I can't even remember after so long and Floell was angered by how the girl and I interacted.

"You can't even smile to me like that!" That was one of the last sentences she shouted at me. Bakit ba naisip niya iyon?

Hell. I can't even remember that girl, even how I smiled at her which Floell deeply hated. I knew she wasn't the type to be jealous but I didn't know why she was so mad at me with just a simple interaction.

I remembered we were in a new art gallery which recently opened in the city. Floell wore her favorite white dress which perfectly emphasized her beauty and accentuated her figure. She had these big brown eyes, a cute nose, and luscious pink lips that drove me crazy. Her lithe and cute physique gave me dreams. Her giggles and smiles were my everything. She looked so pretty that day that it made me senseless. I should've known why she looked that way that day. It was her last.

When we went in that gallery, she pranced around the place like a little kid. Her excitement radiated with joy, even the other people smiled at her adorable actions. I followed her intently. It was a perfect date. She led me while looking around paintings I couldn't even understand. She talked about her thoughts about the pieces yet I couldn't remember her words. What I saw was my all.

We were there for almost an hour until we stopped in front of a large painting. It was hard to be left unnoticed since it's really gigantic when compared to the others. We had to step back a few steps before we could get a better look to what it is.

What I saw was a painting that stroke my heartstrings in an odd way. I didn't even know art can make me feel like that, like I was lost in bliss without any particular reason. So I stood there, dazed, and stared at an oil painting of a beautiful pair of colored eyes. I couldn't identify the specific hue. The painting was like an illusion that made me see eyes that were grayish, with hints of green, a touch of blue, and then it turned to a a lighter shade of brown, almost yellow-the color of my eyes.

Well, it was weird yet wondrous.

"Quentin, babe, ano nganga ka ano?" I heard Floell said in happiness. "It's a masterpiece, isn't it?"

I was lost for words as I stared back at those pair of eyes and muttered, "It is."

Then there was an unfamiliar voice from my other side, a voice I couldn't remember, much less describe.