The Ball

It was the morning of the ball. Exactly a week after I kissed Tewky. That kiss was all I could think about for the past seven days. But of course, I never spoke of it because we made a promise. And Enola Holmes never breaks promises.

The maid served us some sort of fancy food that I didn't recognize but it tasted absolutely amazing. For the first time, Tewksbury's mother and uncle joined us. I was mildly upset because I wanted to speak to Tewky about what happened the other day. But, I was also excited to finally formally speak to his family.

Lady Basilweather spoke first, "Hello, Enola."

"Um, hello, Lady Basilweather," I greeted.

"It's-It's a wonderful day isn't it?" Small talk. Two can play that game.

"Yes." Both of us awkwardly fell silent. I quickly finished my delicious breakfast (I still couldn't figure out what it was).

"Tewksbury. Let's talk. In private. I'll be in my bedroom," and I turned away and left.

It only took five minutes and twenty-three seconds (not that I was counting) for him to come.

I opened my mouth to speak but Tewky beat me to it. "Listen, Enola, before you speak I have something to tell you..."

He waited as if he thought I'd make a retort but then started talking again soon, "My Mother is bringing girls... to the ball..."

"So? I'm a girl and I'm going to this ball."

"No, you don't understand. She's invited those girls in hope that... that I will fall in love with one of them. And she hopes that someday... I will marry one of them..."

I scoffed, "Marriage was one of the big reasons why I ran away from home. They can't expect me to agree for a stranger to become my... husband." I shuddered. "If I do get married one day, I'd want it to be with someone I love and care about and actually know."

"Yeah..." he agreed.

I knew what he was thinking. In fact, I was thinking the same thing. When did this conversation become about marriage?

We decided to play chess instead. We talked about what silly clothes the rich counts and countesses would be wearing and we pretended to be them, rolling on the floor from laughter. I knew Mycroft would say it was unladylike to act like that but I didn't care! He was not there!

The afternoon started with tea and mini sandwiches and soon, it was time to get dressed. I had bought a nice dress for the ball and showed it to Lady Basilweather. She gasped at the sight of it and told her personal servant, "Suit her into one of the finest dresses in my closet. With a corset, of course, and it can only be one of my older ones."

It was uncomfortable, changing in front of someone, but I managed to push through it. The servant pushed on a corset and a pastel purple dress that was fit for Marie Antionette. I was starting to think they were going to make me wear a white powdered wig.

Then, the servant started with the makeup, coating my face with foundation and handing me a bag of brushes and different colors to put on. I was pushed into the bathroom.

I splashed water on my face, removing most of the foundation but leaving a bit on. I put on a glittery gloss on my lips and dabbed a light color of golden powder on my eyes. I brushed on just a slight bit of the pink powder onto my cheeks to give it a blush effect.

I looked up in the mirror. I had never been fond of makeup before but I was proud of my new look for the ball.

The servant slipped on a pair of two-inch high heels that matched the dress on my feet. It wasn't really my style but at least they didn't make me wear a wig.

I walked up to the grand ballroom only to see it was still empty with the exception of a boy sitting on one of the tables.

"Hello, Tewksbury. Nice bow tie," I smirked.

"Yeah well - woah... You look beautiful..."

My smirk changed into a blush which became bright pink because of the pink powder on my cheeks, "Thanks!"

The room filled with people in the next hour and soon, it looked like a real party.

Tewksbury's uncle pulled him away half an hour after the party started. I watched as they strode off to a nearby table. He was being introduced to a large group of girls.

Jealousy bubbled up inside of me as I saw him talking to them and laughing whenever they said something funny. Then one of the girls squealed, "He likes me! Oh, we're going to get married and live the rest of our lives together!"

That was when all hell broke loose. Well, at least at that one table. There were girls screaming and ripping brooches off each other's clothes and hair.

Tewksbury decided that then was the best time to escape and he ran over to me. "They're killing each other over there!"

"Yeah? Well, we've got bigger problems now." When Tewky had sat down in front of me, I saw a man who was wearing a lime green bowler hat slowly raise a gun at us. There were men wearing the same hat as him stationed all around the ballroom, guns pointed at many people.

Just as the men were about to fire their guns I yelled, "DUCK!" Everyone quickly hid underneath a table as multiple gunshots were heard.

I grabbed Tewksbury's arm and lead him over to the closest room. Unfortunately, it was the loo. But we couldn't waste a second. "They're after you. The man right behind us was the only one that had a huge smile on his face. He also mouthed to me 'Your boyfriend isn't gonna live much longer'."

"He-He called me your boyfriend?" Tewky asked. He had a silly look on his face.

"That's not the point, we need to go now before anyone gets killed!"

I looked out the window. There was a sewer right outside. Perfect. I jumped out the window, gesturing Tewky to do the same. I quickly lifted the heavy lid of the sewer and climbed inside, Tewksbury right on my tail.

I started walking to the left. Tewky quickly caught up to me and asked, "Where are we going?"

"I bought an apartment in Oxford. We're going there."

And we set off.