We Never Really Did That Lunch

Things were rarely ever the same. Each situation was another piece to the pattern that was resembling more of a misshapen puzzle with quite a few formational pieces missing. Before she even opened the case, Julia sat there for longer than she even knew, shaking the box eagerly. It was not a complete change of pace, not for Julia. She was used to this type of, as you could say, grunge work, if a little more important. It was what she loved, what she was exceptionally good at. Deep research was a part of her life she revelled in. But this was different to before. It was disproportionately layered, indirect, coded and spread further than anyone had ever anticipated.

Chief only ever scratched the surface of VILE's intrusion into every day, international society over the last 20 years. With each faculty member now officially processed and behind bars, things slowly but surely unravelled into a heaping mass of vine-like matter. Each tendril flattened out and dealt with just led to another tangled thread needing to be unravelled, or cut.

She was tired. The last month had been excruciatingly action-packed, from a paperwork standpoint. Sure, they had ventured out on multiple occasions to clean up, as it were. But those days were a quaint walk compared to the deep dive into the underbelly network that was VILE's immense outreach.

So many, too many corporations had VILE nudging them one way or another. And if she was tired of it, she knew Chase was splitting at the seams.

His undivided support and dedication matched her own, if far more exuberant. They had been side by side ever since the unnerving development that Carmen Sandiego was suspected to have turned. Almost 8 months ago now. Some foolishly thought that after the vanquishing of the VILE HQ and faculty, things would slow. But that was wishful speculation, something Julia was guilty of in hindsight.

They had been in Seattle for the entire time since the major operation. Working day in and day out at the ACME headquarters, trying to quash the last remaining VILE interference. Unfortunately, it was all just beginning. Chase and Julia had done their part to at the very least, gain control over it all. Guide a stead group of hands to the huge task of picking away every VILE leach that still hung. Many operatives were still at large or in hiding and probably some they didn't know of yet. Either way, their concurrent stint was at its end.

They were offered a moment of respite, 2 weeks of 'vacation'. Both accepted the proposition. Chase even lamenting how he never thought he would be so happy to take time off work. Julia adding how she was eager to let her mind wander and rest for more than the 3-4 hours of sleep she managed to get each night. It was taking its toll. The imperial 'joy' she felt from her work was slowly slipping and she could see the wear in Chase's overall being that signalled she was not alone. They had taken a leadership role in all of it, considering how involved they were. It was exhilarating but daunting. She had no idea how Chief was able to do it for so long. Never in her life had she had so many people look to her for guidance. Chase in his own position of a higher being, if more inclined to stick by her side as her second support. For they had been the ones so deeply rooted in it all since they intercepted a Carmen Sandiego heist back in Poitiers, with the eye of Vishnu.

The company at the height of success was welcomed. Now freshly scented with the sweet perfume of reverence and relaxed familiarity. Chase had unintentionally become imperative to maintaining her connection to reality, her somewhat simulating the same for him. The scope of their work meant the only real social interactions were with him. Before, during and after work. Just Chase.

It would have once been a negative statement. Now being one that left her pleasantly at peace, proud to tell those that her partner was the one Agent Devineaux.

The elevator fell slower than usual. Descending at a glacial pace to the underground parking of the main ACME office. Their final night for a while had finally concluded, if a lot later than planned. Things were in order, as much as they could be. Set with multiple teams to take their place in their absence. They weren't the only ones who received time off, most of the initial responders away for all now moment of rest.