Chapter 1: The Thief

(Y/n's POV)

I looked out onto the streets filled with nobles and nobles' servants alike from my perch on a peasant's house's roof. I glanced around for who seemed like the easiest target to start with. Nobles weren't used to having to be wary of thieves like me, so it didn't seem too difficult.

Nobles, royals, and all of their servants they had brought with them had gathered in the kingdom in hopes of interbreeding, just like always. Well, if we're being honest, they were here specifically for the ball that was happening tonight.

Prince Katsuki Bakugou. The kid was turning eighteen, so I guess it was a big deal for royal customs or whatever to find him a girl soon. I honestly couldn't care less, but it brought in a bunch of unsuspecting nobles covered in such easily steal-able jewels, so I guess it was a good thing.

Mako gave me a quick glance before jumping into a nearby ally and shifting into his human form. He wore clothes that would make him blend in with the servants in the crowd, and so did I. We had stolen them about a week ago for this larceny specifically.

Mako had been itching to get it over with, while I only had a growing feeling of unease. Something was going to go wrong. I knew it. But how could it? Nobles like these never expected to have a thief amongst them, so it would be the easiest full-scale thievery I had ever done, but still. I was terrified someone would catch us, even though no one had caught one of us in over a year, and no one had caught me in five. Mako, on the other hand got caught about once every two years when he got careless, and I would always get him out of it.

Yeah, that's it, someone would catch Mako and it would be the easiest escape of our lives. He would make a careless mistake, and it would be a quick and easy break. No way something could go worse than that.

"Y/n! Pay attention! They're gonna start moving again soon, and we need to get in there at just the right time so no one gets suspicious!" He whisper-yelled at me.

"R-right!" I stood up straighter and dusted off my tattered dress.

"You remember the plan, right? I snatch as many things from the crowd as possible, and you get closer to the palace, grab as much as you can carry, and then run."

"Yes!"

"Good, now... go!" He gave the signal and we both slid into the crowd, moving smoothly around and sliding valuables off of unsuspecting nobles.

Thirty minutes into the works, and it was all going smoothly. I noticed a servant boy staring and ducked my head down and searched for a group of servants to rush to as if I was going back to help after getting lost.

Once I was positive he couldn't see me anymore, I ducked into an alleyway to calm my racing heart. He had seen me! Of course you make a simple mistake for the first time in FIVE YEARS, and it's as careless as not paying attention to people who were looking! No... calm down... I have to keep going with this, or else something else will go wrong...

Just as I turned to go back into the crowd, I heard a voice, making me freeze in terror. "Oi... who are you and what family are you serving, girl?" A commanding voice asked. What- family..? Family, family, family... uh...

"H-Horime family, sir..."

"Horime..? But... they arrived at the palace yesterday... who are you?" The boy growled.

"Y-yes, I was sent to bring some remaining luggage to the palace, sir..." I said quicker than I should have. I felt a warm hand on my wrist and knew that I had been caught. Shit.

"Age? Name? What did you do? How long have you been here? And don't lie." He growled again, closer to my ear this time. I decided it would be best if I dropped the act and put up another one.