TWELVE

The day was drawing to an end, and as they were returning to the train station, Emmanuel halted in his steps.

"Drat, I forgot!" he shouted. Blair raced to him, carrying boxes and bags.

"What? What did you forget?"

"I forgot to go to the most important place," Emmanuel cried, turning to him.

"What could you have forgotten? We've went everywhere," Blair replied.

And they had, indeed, from Marks and Spencer's Penny Bazaar to Derry and Tom's Department store. They had stopped at a cafe in the department store and had tea and sandwiches, and admired Japanese-style objets d'art, and also went to a store with Minoan art tiling on the walls. Emmanuel had been right: the trip gave Blair much more reference and experience than he could've dreamed of.

"Let's make one last trip," Emmanuel said. "I promise you'll like it."

"I know I will but It's late, we might miss the last train."

"Don't worry, the trains run until nine at weekdays." With a sigh, Blair gave up and Emmanuel chuckled. "I'm sorry, you must be tired."

"I am." Blair smiled. "But it's fine, it's not often that we go to London." He thought of the man they met, Christopher Collins, and couldn't help but wish they didn't come a second time.

Once they reached the place Emmanuel wanted to go to, Blair raised him head and read the sign.

"Fournier's Chocolatier," Blair read out. "Chocolate?"

"Yes. You said, didn't you, that the chocolate you ate that day was the most delicious thing you ever ate. If so, let's eat it again. Together."

Emmanuel opened the door this time, and Blair stepped in.

He stepped in, and turned his head this way and that, admiring the chocolates and other candies in the glass counters and glass jars. Their truffles were powdery, other chocolates glossy, and some colored, and others plain black, brown, or white.

"I can't believe it—these are all chocolates?"

"Most of them, yes." He smiled. He was glad he had read in the newspaper some days ago of the 'wondrous' Belgium chocolatier that had recently opened a branch in London.

"Let's buy two boxes, one for the train, and one for home, so Flemings and the servants can have some too."

"Can we?" Blair's eyes sparkled, in the way Emmanuel missed, and he smiled.

"Yes, of course."

He had regretted the day, everything, from his embarrassing moment in the carriage to the obviously tense exchange with Christopher Collins, but that expression had made up for everything.

Emmanuel smiled as Blair talked to the man behind the counter, pointing at each and every variant of chocolate, ones with jam fillings, other with cream, and even a champagne one. The salesman carefully picked up each one with pincers and arranged them on a box, and then tied a ribbon around them.

"I've finished choosing a box. What do you like, Emmanuel?"

Emmanuel was soothed at hearing his name called again, and smiled.

"I don't really like chocolate. Choose what you like, I'm sure Flemings doesn't have much opinion regarding them either."

"Really?" Blair seemed conflicted for a split second, but then the salesman pointed to some caramel-filled chocolates, and his attention was torn away.