The Fine Line - A Harry Styles Fanfic [Coming Soon]

It'd been three days.  Three days since I'd seen her, heard her sweet voice, touched her soft skin, watched her chest rise and fall in the warm breaths.

- three days, seven hours, and fourteen minutes earlier -

"You want to know something?" Valerie asked me, perking at me through the corner of her eye with an endearing smirk gracing her face.

I took her hand tighter in mine, trying to keep it warm as best I could.

"Of coarse."

She paused, tilting her head back farther, onto the car seats.

"I lost my virginity in a car." She said frankly, and I had a long, waited expression of light chuckling.

"That's good to know." I laughed.

"Well, what about you?" She looked at me; wide-eyed. 

I thought.

"A ski cabin."

"Hmm?"

"I went skiing with my girlfriend, when I was thirteen."

"Thirteen?" She looked at me, eyes agape.  I nodded with a smirk of pride.

"What about you?  How old?"

"A lady never tells."

"Isn't it, 'a gentleman never tells'?" I asked her, laughing lightly.

"Maybe." She looked out the windshield. "Who said there were rules to common sayings?" She pouted. I just watched her as she pursed her lips and stared out the window, and I nodded my head slightly, letting out a short, breathy laugh. "Thirteen, though, too." She said.

"Why were you so surprised when I said thirteen in the first place, when you lost yours in at thirteen, too?"

"I don't know." She looked at me slowly, then smiled slightly.  She was mad, but that was just one more thing that drove me mad about her.

"I've never had sex in a car." I said quietly and looked out my window.  I heard the crinkle in her jacket as it moved, her head turning towards me.

"Oh, really?" She said, amusement in her voice.

"Yes." I said, looking at her.  She was slipping her Uggs off her feet, revealing her thick, knitted socks.  She leant over, towards the radio, and turned up the heat, and took off her jacket.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I felt her hand over my head, slipping off the beanie that rested on it, gathering my thick curls together and pulling them out of my face.

"What is it you're doing, exactly?" I laughed at her.

"Want to change that?" She looked at me, an obvious passion in her eyes.

"Change what?" I asked, dumbfound.  She simply rolled her eyes, and clamped her hands into my curls, and pulled my head close to hers.  I could smell the sweet vanilla of her lipgloss, a smell she knew drew me mad.  Her lips her just hovering over mine when she spoke.

"Do you know what decidophobia is?" She said quietly.

"No." I smiled.

"It is a condition in which someone has an extreme phobia about making decisions.  People who have it lack the courage or will to sort through the different sides in disagreements to find the truth."

"Really?" I said, faking an interest that made her smile.

"I have been asked to treat a man with this condition, but I refuse to.  You know why?"

"Why?" I laughed.

"Because, I believe the chance of getting this condition is so minuscule it doesn't even seem possible.  Altogether, whether diagnosed by a proper doctor or not, I think this condition is a myth.  People are not afraid to make decisions, they may be indecisive, but they are not afraid. Fear is an untrue element, a product really, of the human brain's thinking.  You can choose to ignore it, or you can let it slowly eat you away.  So if fear is causing you to have the inability to make a decision, not dependent on the size and importance of this decision, then it is your own insanity that has gotten in the way of things.  You do not have a case of decidophobia, but a case of psychosis.  Your own psychotic mind has gotten you to believe that fear can come from decision making, which is insanity, because no matter what, you will always be able to make a decision, whether it seems logical or not.  Humans evolved that way, and there are little to no exceptions.  You are letting the fear, caused by the brain's thinking, to develop some banter known as 'decidophobia'.  What he has is psychosis caused by an unnecessary fear, that has blocked his brain's natural way of working.  I will treat this man, when he comes to me, telling me he wishes for my to treat his insanity, not his decidophobia."

A long pause.

"What does this have to do with anything, Valerie?" I chuckled lowly.

"You think what I'm saying is irrelevant, and for the knowledge you're carrying in this current moment in time, it is irrelevant.  But maybe, this information will be relevant to you in some time, some place, belonging to the future.  You should know, that making decisions is not difficult, and it never should be, all you need to know is that there is a very fine line between things; guilt and hope, interesting and odd, black and white, life and death.  That fine line between things is what makes these decisions seem difficult, is what makes options seem endless, but everyone has the ability to recognize the right choice.  They may not choose the right one, but they will always know which it is.  And I'm telling you this, because I want you to be able to have the power of owning you choices.  A time will come when you have to make a decision Harry, and I don't want you to let your own fear will you into the wrong choice."

Another long pause.

"I love you," I said.

"I love you, too."

"What do you mean, again?" I asked. "What do you want to change?"

She paused and kissed me lightly before answering. "Want to have sex in a car?" She spoke slowly and I gave her a cheeky smile and lolled my head up and down in a nod lazily, as she pushed her beautiful, smooth lips up against mine.

One bright light.

One loud sound.

Black.