When Love and Death Embrace

She was the angel of love. I was the angel of death. We were doomed to fail before we even began. She knew that every time she descended from heaven to see me a little part of her soul was lost. But I was the angel of death, and I knew that once she descended this time, she would never ascend again.

I pace restlessly in the abandoned warehouse. She had found it and turned it into a place where we could be together. I had found (stolen actually, but I will never tell her that) all the furniture and she had bought knick-knacky stuff plus these ridiculous stuffed toys she calls Pokémon. I pick one up and stare at it. It’s a pink cat with a long tail. I think she called it Mew. I shake my head and set it back on the shelf. I complain a lot, but I indulge her. I love watching her face light up when I bring her a new stuff toy or a rare card she doesn’t have yet.

I sigh and head over to the bed. I flop down onto it then roll onto my side. I come face to face with another toy. This one is a long, black snake thing that came from outer space. I snort and clutch it to my chest.

“Rayquaza, and it’s normally green but that is a shiny,” Lila says, lying down next to me. I smile and reach my hand out to cradle her cheek. She nuzzles my hand before moving the snake and taking its place in my arms. My smile falls as she buries her face in my neck. She burning up and trembling. I crush her to my chest and start crying.

“Shh my love, there’s no need to cry. I will be forever alive in your heart,” Lila says, raising her head. She kisses me and the trembles get worse.

“I love you,” I tell her through my sobs.

“I love you, too,” she replies, kissing me again before hiding her face in my neck once more.

“No more talking, My Love. Just hold me in your arms, that’s all I ask,” she whispers. I nod and bury my face in her hair. As we lie there, my mind drifts to a conversation we had about life and death.

“I heard a couple of humans talking about life and death the other day and I there was one part I thought was very interesting. The human said: ‘Life and Death have been in love for longer than we have words to describe. Life sends countless gifts to Death and Death keeps them forever’. I thought this was interesting because my mother is the Angel of Life. So did she send me to you, and when I die will we be together forever?” Lila asks as she reorganizes her toy collection to make room for the new one I got her. She called it Vaporeon.

“Why do you have to die for us to be together forever?” I ask her; unhappy with the way she just accepts her death.

“We aren’t immortal, My Love. Our time rises and sets just like the sun. You of all people should know that,” she replies, standing up. She kisses me before disappearing into the kitchen.

“I love you with every beat of my fading heart,” Lila whispers. Her light turns blinding before disappearing completely. A single, red feather is all that remains of the Angel of Love.