main

The silence was deafening. The desolate platform couldn’t have got anymore dull. Limited shades of grey were as wide as the variety of colours got. As we sat on the platform waiting, the sun’s bright rays reflected off the railway blinding me. I wasn’t sure what we were waiting for but I didn’t argue, I sat waiting patiently as I was told.
My brother bravely asked,
‘Why are we here?’
Mum just stared at him but dad said,
‘We need to get out of here. It’s not safe.’
We looked at each other in confusion. We weren’t sure what he meant. It had always been safe, or we though so anyway.
Dad stood up, he kept pacing up and down the side of the platform. We sat and watching him for a while. He kept looking up at the clock, then around him repetitively. He had a worried look on his face persistently.
In the distance I could hear something. I wasn’t sure what it was like a quiet, low rumble. A light appeared in the distance, it was bright and perfectly round. It seemed to be approaching, quickly. As it neared, I could see the outside of something much bigger the light was on. I jumped back, afraid.
The train appeared in front of me. It wasn’t going as fast, nothing like what you imagine. It looked ancient. It had definitely seen better days. The force of the train brought a cold breeze making me wrap my coat round me tighter wishing I had put on an extra jumper.
I looked at mum, surprised to see she was now standing. She had picked up her bags. Dad was walking over, he seemed calmer now. When he picked up his bags my brother and I realised we probably should get ours too. The doors in front of us opened and dad said,
‘Ready for a new life?’