Chapter 2: Floating

You wake up laying your head on a soft pillow back in your house. You grunt as you feel a sharp pain in your stomach and hear a voice "You got lucky, the bullet went straight through and I got you home quickly so you didn't lose much blood." "Where's Dad," you look around the room. "I'm sorry kid there wasn't enough time to bring him." You suddenly don't feel the pain in your stomach all you feel is anger. You try to get up, but fall to the ground as that pain comes back. "How could you?!" You say tears streaming down your face. "Y/n?" You hear Carl's faint voice from the corner of the room and the next thing you know you can feel his body warmth around you. "Hey, kid I missed you," you say. You try to stay strong for Carl, like always. "So Mom where are we going?" She looks at you. "Well we haven't figured that out, best thing is to get out of the city, there's too big of a chance to get infected and we don't know how this infection spreads." "Okay, so when do we leave," you say. "Now," Shane says in a stern voice as he grabs some of Carl's clothes to put in a bag. A couple of minutes later you guys are all packed and put everything in the car. "Let's get out of here it won't be long before the traffic starts," Lori grabs Carl and put him in the car seat. "Come on Y/n we have to go." You look back knowing this will be the last time you see your house. "I said come on Y/n!" Lori screams. "Coming!" You say back. 

An hour into the drive you run into a traffic jam:

"Fuck!" Shane screams. You all get out of the car and talk to some of the other people waiting there. Their names are Carol, Ed, and Sofia Peletier. "So what do you do for a living-" Ed interrupts, "Look we don't know you so can you just leave us alone." He drags Carol, and you can tell by his body language he is not a nice guy. You and Shane decide to go along the road and see what is holding them up. You see the first bomb drop on the city and run back to get out of there. "They're dropping bombs!" Shane screams over the noise. "Did you just say they are dropping bombs?!" Carol says in a worried voice. "Yeah, they are probably doing it to stop the disease from spreading. We need to get out of the city before they start dropping bombs on this highway." Carol comes up to you guys. "Can we come with you and a couple of people we met who have nowhere to go?" You look at her and say, "I know just the place we could all go. I went camping there a few months ago its empty and very few people will think to go there." "Thank you so much! Y/n right?" Carol says. "Yeah it's Y/n, lets go!"