~ chapter 1 ~

that day, the day I finally found my place in this world will be a day I will remember for a lifetime. it was October 17th, 2014 the day I meet him the person that changed my life In so many ways, he gave me light and a reason to live, a reason to get out of bed each and every morning, a reason to laugh and smile and the reason I believe in love today. I could never thank him enough for making me the person I am today and I am so grateful that I was able to call him my best friend. I'm gonna miss you bud, I hope heaven treats you well and I know you are watching down on me and will try I will try so fuckin hard to make you proud and if I don't I give you fall permission to beat my ass when we meet again I love you soo soo much, rest easy Elliot.

at this point everyone in the church was crying and so was I, as I turn around and a take one last look at my best friend before I walk back over to the front row where our closes friends are sitting comforting each other.

"that was beautiful Nova" Mariah said while stifling sniffles, as she wiped away a few rogue tears from her puffy eyes.

"you missed one there" I say with a sad smile as I retrieve a tissue from my pocket and attempt to wide it away falling miserable as I poke her in the eye.

"ow, you little bitch" she laughs snatching the tissue out of my hand as we burst into a fit of giggles. I realise this is the first time I have genuinely laughed in days.

~~~~~~~~~

my footsteps echo loudly on the pavement, a steady rhythm calming my aching heart as I slowing wander through the cemetery stopping occasioning to read the headstones of people who had once had roamed the same roads as i. absentmindedly I find the place I have visited numerous times over the past couple months, the permanent resting place of my beloved best friend. looking the same as it usually does only now the newly placed flowers have started to shrivel up in response to the slight chill of the forming winter, with a newly plucked flower in hand, I place it beside the dying ones the stark contrast reminding me that nothing beautiful can last forever.

"there's something fascinating about death" I was startled, to court up in my own sorrow to realize anyone was around. taking a step back I am brought to reality finally noticing all the families morning people they have lost.

"what?" I question the voice, only now taking in the features of a tall boy who looked around my age standing a mere metre away from me.

"Maryanna jane holter,  state 4 breast cancer leaving her only son with his dickhead of a father" was the only thing he said before he gave me a shy smile and turning his back and walking away leaving me confused. 

far out of sight I move to where he was standing and trace the names along the wall until I find one that reads Maryanna Holter 17th of august 1976 till 26th of November 2018 a loving mother, sister, friend and wife will be miss dearly, realisation dawned on me that this must have been his mother and he was the son left to be raised by malicious father.