Chapter 12

John smiled as he found what he was looking for.   He stood up and walked back over to his altar and got to work.    He took a black colored candle and a needle, John lit the candle and then began pricking it with the needle while saying

“As I prick this candle, I prick at thee
Broken hearts unhappy be
May you part another day
Soon to go your separate ways”

Then he blew the candle out and then broke it in half.  John then threw one half of the candle into a garbage can, then he walked upstairs, making sure to turn off all of the basement lights and locking the basement door behind him, and threw the remaining half of the candle out in the garbage can in his kitchen.   He smiled and then headed to bed.

In the guest room, Angie, who had been sound to sleep, suddenly woke up, her chest was hurting, it was an incredibly sharp pain.   She didn’t want to wake or worry Alex, so she quietly got out of bed and made her way to John’s bedroom.    Angie wrapped on his bedroom door.   “John, are you awake, I need help.”

John opened the door and did his best to hide his smile when he saw her holding her hand over her heart.   “What’s wrong?”

"I don’t know but I woke up with this terrible pain in my chest.”

John led Angie into the living room and sat her down on the sofa.   He ran into the kitchen and returned a moment later with a bottle of water.   “Here, drink this water slowly.”   Angie did as he asked, while John gently rubbed her back.   “It’s only natural for you to feel some real pain, after everything he did to you.”  John said.    He looked over Angie’s shoulder and spotted a shadowy figure in the corner of the living room.    John ever so slightly nodded his head and then the shadow vanished.

At that exact same moment, Zak felt an incredibly sharp, painful, shooting pain strike him right in the heart.    The pain was not like anything else he’s ever experienced in his entire life.    He clutched his chest and fell out of his chair onto the floor.   Aaron, Billy, Nick, Jay and Diana came rushing over to him.   “Zak!”

Nick and Aaron bent down.   “Zak, what’s wrong?”  Nick asked.

“Angie, Alex” was all Zak could manage to get out.

“He looks like he’s having a heart attack” Diana stated.

“Zak wrote in his book that this job can sometimes cause heart attacks” Jay said.

“I’m calling nine one one” Bill said pulling out his cellphone.

30 minutes later, Zak was laying on a bed in a room inside the local emergency room.   Aaron, Nick and the others were explaining to the doctor about what had happened to lead up to his chest pains.    An hour later the doctor walked in and stated that the tests indicated elevated heart enzymes which could mean Zak was having a heart attack.

The doctor said he wanted to admit Zak and Zak shook his head.  “No” he said.  He started to try and sit up, so he could get off the bed and leave; and Nick pushed him back down.  

 “You’re not going anywhere Zak.”

“Damn it Nick, I gotta get Angie and Alex back” Zak said.

 “And you will, once you’re better.”

“Zak” Aaron said.   “You won’t be able to win her back if you’re dead bro.   Just at least spend the night and let the doctor check you over okay?”

Zak sighed, he knew this was one battle he wouldn’t win…at least not tonight.   And despite not wanting to admit it to anyone, he wasn’t sure if he would have had the strength to walk out right then anyway.   “Fine” he finally said, giving in.