Chapter 29 ~ The Phone Call

Wes POV

I'm still awake even though it's past 2:00 AM here. I've called Riley and Drew 6 times each. She knows I was supposed to call when we landed so I don't understand why she isn't picking up. "Dude. Turn the light off!" Keaton groans from the other bed. He went to sleep about an hour ago. "I'm still worried dude," I whisper to him. Keaton sighs and flips his light on. "Wes seriously, what possibly could've happened?" Keaton says, sounding annoyed. "I don't know...I just have a bad feeling Keaton," I reply, still scared. "Wes. She probably just went to bed early and you know Drew never answers his phone." I start to relax a little bit, he's right. Riley has been going to bed early lately and Drew is Drew. "Maybe you're right..." I mumble. "I'm always right," Keaton teases back. I manage a laugh and we both switch off our lights. I am tired from flying and my eyelids start to feel heavy. My mind is finally relaxed as I start to drift off...and then the phone rings.

I shoot out of bed to grab my phone from the nightstand. I glance down at my phone and notice that it's an unknown number. Oh God...this can't be good. "Hello?" I yell into the phone as Keaton turns the light back on.

"Wes?" Drew's voice answers on the other end.

"Yeah dude I've tried calling you for hours! Whose phone are you calling from?"

There is a slight pause before Drew answers. "Okay try not to flip out...I'm at the hospital."

My stomach drops and I have to grab onto the dresser to keep from falling over. "W-what happened?" I whisper.

"Riley was having some pains and-"

"Is she okay?!" I interrupt, feeling myself start to get emotional.

"Wes you just gotta get here as soon as you can dude..." Drew answers.

"Drew tell me what the fuck happened?! Is she okay?!" I scream into the receiver.

"She's fine now dude...but you're a dad," he squeaks out.

"I'm a what?" I whisper, not able to process his words.

"They had to deliver the baby...about an hour ago," Drew says, clearly wary of my reaction.

I drop the phone. I am in complete and total shock. Keaton runs up and grabs the phone from the floor. "Drew? What happened? Wes looks like he's gonna pass out," Keaton says worriedly. He listens for Drew's response and his eyes widen when he gets it. "We'll be on the next flight back dude I'll call you when we have plans!" Keaton yells. "Alright yeah keep us posted. Bye Drew!" Keaton hangs up and slowly turns to face me. "Wes are you okay?" Keaton whispers, staring at the ground. "No," I whisper back. She had the baby by herself. I didn't even ask if she was okay! I don't know if the baby is okay either! It's 5 weeks early...that can't be good! I don't even know if it's a boy or a girl...we were waiting to find out...together. "Okay Wes I know this isn't what anyone was planning but we need to get to the airport and get back to California!" Keaton says, trying to snap me out of it. He's right. There is nothing I can do from this hotel room.

I jump up and start to pack up all of my stuff. "Keaton go tell mom and Brent!" I yell, trying to get everything in order. "Alright let me finish packing first!" he says as he grabs his stuff from the bathroom. "Keaton you should stay for the wedding," I say, not wanting to ruin the plans for the weekend. "Fuck. No. Dude I just became an uncle and there is no way you're flying home alone," Keaton says firmly. I sigh. "Fine I'll go tell mom. Pack up everything. We're leaving in 5 minutes." He nods as I run down the hall. I knock loudly on their door, forgetting how late it is. I hear activity on the other side of the door and eventually my mom answers in her pajamas. "Wesley it's nearly 3:00 AM what's going on?" I nearly lose it when I see the concern on my mom's face. "Riley had the baby," I choke out through tears.