III

"Careful!" Richie exclaimed from the bottom of the treehouse.

"Always am!" Belle replied looking down from the ladder.

It was around five in the morning. Belle had probably talked about everything there is to in this life, Richie listened, he actually listened and not just heard. Every word that emitted from Belle had gone directly into Richie's brain for him to reflect on. It was different though, this kind of overthinking and analyzing he liked, he liked how Belle would all of a sudden change routes when she was talking, or how she would remember something and add onto her speech. After finding out Richie admittedly depended on her, she wanted to always make sure of his happiness and comfort. Though, she'd never been in a position like this before, she could only assume what would benefit him.

The two began walking through the now muddy ground. The rain died down maybe an hour ago and the aftermath was showing up on the bottom of their shoes. The sun was rising, beaming onto both of their brown eyes, creating a gold-ish colour.

"That was fun." Richie stated, he seemed genuinely happy.

"Yeah." Belle grinned turning to his sunkissed face.

"Much needed too. I love those deep conversations." Richie said further.

"Me too. Y'know, I can't talk to anyone else like that." Belle was grateful for him, more in this moment than ever. She had come to realize how great it was to have this kind of person in your life. The kind you don't need a filter with, and you can pour your heart out to.

Immediately upon arriving to Richie's quiet house, he heard action coming from his kitchen. He whipped around to Belle, signaling for her to be completely quiet, her eyes widened. Richie sneaked around to the window of his older brother's room. He grabbed a muddy rock from the grass below and chucked it at his window, being strategic as not to break the window. Daniel ran towards the loud thud, looking out, he saw Richie and Belle standing, looking desperate. He scoffed, then slid the window open leaning outward. 

"What do you want?!" He flailed his arms around.

"Distract mom! Please!" Richie pleaded.

Daniel rolled his eyes before eventually closing the window and backing away in the direction of the kitchen. Richie rushed back over to his bedroom window, first helping Belle up, then climbing himself. Belle fell at first, causing a loud noise which triggered another knock upon the door. Richie practically flew through the window, ripping off his shoes and climbing onto the bed. Richie's mom walked in.

"Well, good morning." She looked a little lost, she always kind of did.

"Morning." Richie's smile was wiped off his face at her unexpected appearence.

"Um, do you kids want some breakfast... or anything?" She looked anxious for some reason.

"No. Thanks mom." Richie wanted her out of there.

"I'm good." Belle tried to erase the tension with her smile.

"O-okay." She forced a smile, shutting the door lightly behind her.

"God, she is annoying." Richie rolled his eyes... again.

"I don't see what's so wrong with her?" Belle said, soon after realizing she could have upset him.

He scoffed, then turned towards her. "You don't get it do you?" 

A look of concern rolled over her face. 

"Nevermind, it's not like I can explain it to you." He was getting more angry.

"Actually Rich, I would understand, but you never tell me, you only tell me things when they can benefit you." Belle snapped. Richie's face went white, a blank stare.

"Speaking of which, you were supposed to tell me about that letter, which you never did." She tried to sound angrier than him so she could maybe get an answer.

He didn't say anything, he still had that blank stare, which then led to him staring into nothing. It was that contemplation face she knew.

"Rich.. I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that." She realized what she did.

He took a breath, looking like he was going to say something, but he didn't, and that silence was killing her. 

"I'll just go home, I'm sorry." She went to stand up but Richie stopped her, placing a hand on her thigh. 

"No. Please, stay." He begged.

She grew a forgiving look on her face, sitting back down. Richie was beaming.

"I'm sorry, I can't be alone right now." He looked down.

"Of course." 

"I- I want to tell you about the letter." He started slowly.

"Really? I mean, you don't have to but-"

"I want to." He interrupted.