Chapter 6: Total of Two

Court days where different than Brian's regular days. The day began with an hour more of sleep, he didn't have to be at the courthouse until 11 o'clock. Brian spent half an hour working out, showered, dressed, and ate his breakfast in front of the morning news. This was the part Brian enjoyed about having to appear in court.

As he enjoyed a peaceful drive across the city, Brian glanced at the stereo as his phone started ringing, pressing the button on his steering wheel.

"Harper."

"Detective Harper, your purchase for our new company jet has been approved, sir."

"Oh excellent, go ahead then and pencil in a retreat for the executive team to Jamaica. All-inclusive, five-star, let's say 6 nights?"

"Yes, sir."

"How did the interviews for a pilot go?"

"Very well, sir. He seems very dedicated and incredibly smart. He says that you should take a flight with him sometime soon, sir."

"Good."

With that, he hung up.

He listened to a full song before his phone rang again.

"Harper."

"Detective Harper, it's Elise. Mr. Connelly has finished the forensic report, sir."

"Can you store it on your desk, please, Elise? I will swing by after court and pick it up."

"Of course, sir."

"Thank you, have a good day, Elise."

"You too, sir. Good luck in court."

"Thank you."

Parking outside the District of Columbia Courthouse, Brian got out of his car. Heading up the stairs.

"Detective Harper," one of the men said as he opened up the door for him.

Brian gave him a curt nod in greeting.

"Detective."

Nicholas Garner was waiting for him. He was one of the best lawyers in the United States. He had held the bar in twelve states, went to Harvard Law School and graduated at the top of his class. He was partnered with one of the biggest law firms in the country and when the government needed a sure win, it was Garner who they called. For 2 years now, Garner had been Brian's personal attorney, sentencing every case that Brian worked on.

"Hello, Nick," Brian greeted shaking his hand. "Weekend plans?"

"Nothing incredibly exciting. I'll probably watch the game. My son's soccer game is on Saturday. What about you, sir?"

"My brother and his family are flying in tonight. I will be spending the weekend touring them around the city."

"That sounds fun. Let's see how fast I get you out of here then, what do you say, sir?"

Brian nodded with a small smile "that sounds like an interesting challenge."

"Only for some, sir."

Brian laughed. Walking down the aisle towards the prosector's bench, sitting down.

"All rise," the court clerk called after a few minutes.

Brian stood up from his chair, fixing his light gray tie and doing the button on his jacket. He watched as each of the jury members walked into the room and over to their seats. He then turned his attention to the judge; she was familiar to Brian. He was familiar at least by name with every judge who worked in DC.