Chapter 2

"What a piteous thing, a hideous thing

Was tainted by the rest "

--------------------------------------------

Dongho awoke to darkness. It was impossible to see anything. He tried to hold out his palm before finding his limbs were restrained with heavy chains. More sense came and he found himself on his knees. Cold metal kissed his skin with harsh lips, chain links connecting him to a wall. A set of chains around his wrists and ankles pulled him backward while a second set connecting to his forearms and thighs pulled him forward. A heavy-set collar with four links pulled him downward. They seemed to connect to the ground.

Footsteps. A hand yanked off the thick blindfold covering Dongho's eyes and the dim light took a moment to get used to. He was indeed chained, there being more restraints than he had formerly realized. The collar was indeed connected to the ground. He seemed to be kneeling on a raised platform in the middle of a room with no way of moving. Focusing on the person who entered the room, Dongho's heart fell. It was Jaewon. The boy was trembling as he bustled around tightening restraints here and there. Without another word, the young Crystal fled from the room, his job done.

If Dongho could scream, he would've. If he could've sworn, he would've. Yet, despite all his desire to speak, he couldn't. A lack of a tongue and a severely damaged vocal box made sure of that. He could still cry, but he restrained himself. There was no honor in shedding tears on the hard surface. His knees throbbed and his chest heaved. There was nothing he could do but hope. He hoped Ven wasn't captured as well, he hoped they wouldn't try to correct him. He had no defense to the words they would throw at him. Damage decorated his legacy like medals on a military uniform.

His chest lit up with several green dots. That only meant one thing. Important people were coming and if he said anything offensive, he'd be shot dead. If he could say anything. Five noticeable boys filed inside through the metal doors. Chairs were provided by the three Crystals. Dongho was kneeling in front of the Shinings. He looked at each of them carefully. Pink and Blue hair, Dark Blue, Ruddy Brown, Pinkish Purple, Green with Red tips. Dongho froze as his eyes fell on the familiar face of Ven. Dongho would've screamed right there. Ven wasn't perfect. He was deaf. He couldn't hear. And yet as the five of them introduced themselves, Ven spoke perfectly. He responded flawlessly. Was his deafness a lie? Had Ven betrayed him?

"I'm Minsung." A quiet lilting voice came from the pink and blue haired male. Dongho couldn't help but notice everything about him was perfect. His posture and everything. "Why don't you tell us about yourself?"

Dongho didn't even try and respond.

Ruddy brown hair spoke. "Minsung, this is the mute one. We gotta baby him." the words were said with a hint of contempt, but Dongho couldn't help be mesmerized by the other male. He was showing almost no skin; long gloves covered his arms and knee-high boots clad his feet. Angel-like.

Pink haired smiled. "Kyunghun's right. Nod for yes, shake your head for no. Got it?"

Dongho nodded. The chains around his neck clinked softly.

"Are you Kang Dongho?"

Nod.

"Were you responsible for the theft of two-hundred packets of rations?"

Ah. The lower regions were starving. Dongho had distributed a truck of food to them. He nodded.

"Were you the one who stole a trunk of furs in the southern unit?"

Nod.

Past offenses were listed, some Dongho shook his head too. He hadn't hurt anyone despite the rumors. His captors, however, looked disappointed in him. Maybe it was his imagination, but every chain seemed to tighten when he denied one of their claims.