The Blue Spring

Patricia (Nolwethu)

"... It's the first day of a new month, first day of a new season and It's Friday!" Miss Flee of the morning Flee show screamed on the radio then immediately some house song by Black Coffee started playing I tapped my feet along to the beat of the song, music is life to me the melody, the drums, piano, the claps and the vocal always free my soul. "Patricia!" Shouted my mother as she entered my room, I turned from the mirror and stared at her as I combed my hair. "Ready for tonight?" She asked and I looked backed to the mirror still taping my foot to the sound of the song. "You better not do anything stupid, again" she said and left my room I sighed heavily and started dancing around, I threw the comb somewhere on the room then started making my bed.

"Sis" whispered my sister as she entered my room, I opened my eyes and looked at her. "Thando" I said softly "Mhh... They are here" she said and I nodded. "Don't worry Sisi you will be okay, look at me " she said and twirled around on her beautiful dress "Thando" I called out to her as I wore my shoes she looked at me judging by her facial expression she knew what I was about to say "I thought you love your husband" I said and bed down to tie the sandals "I... Well before I got married to Lwando he told me he was polygamist so I knew he was bound to marry someone else" she said then looked down I guess avoiding tears, she then quickly looked me again with a smile totally fake I tell you "And I am happy you are also his wife, you're my sister mama's Pat Pat" she said laughing she knows how much I hate the name, Patricia who the heck names their daughter that? I mean it's the 20th century but then again my parents are old fashion, here I am arranged to marry my sister's rich husband.

"Nolwethu this will be your home for the first 3months of your marriage, like I said it's your home not your house. This is your sister's house, you are here only to learn your duties as a wife from her" said Mbali Lwando's sister, I nodded sitting on the grass mat wearing the proper attire for a traditional Xhosa bride. "Your sister is doing a good job I hope you won't disappoint" said Lwando's cousin who I never caught her name. Lwando's parents are your typical rich parents, his step mother entered her heels made us notice her due to the noise each step produced and smiled "Ohh sorry I am late the massage therapy took longer, anyways daughter in-law" she said and walked to where I was sitting Mbali rolled her eyes "How do you feel? Finally a bride? Well all I will say is satisfy your man in bed, I am now Dibashe's only wife because I serve him well" she said smiling "Of course you're serving him the portion very well bloody prostitute" said Mbali Mrs Mbanzi just laughed "Mbali why are you so bitter? Because your age mate is married to one of the richest men while you're still being played, uyagowa every now and then awu lasti marriage after marriage no need to be bitter we used to be friends darling I can hook you up you know that's if you still intact after that rape saga angazi" said Mrs Mbanzi the step mother I was not expecting what happened next Mbali jumped on top of Mrs Mbanzi and started beating her yhoo the other cousins screamed one of them ran outside, I also stood up and went to beat the slay queen Mother, I know this was a family issue but hey I was now family too and I didn't like what that slay Queen bitch uttered with her mouth. "What the fuck?!" I turned to the voice and saw my supposed to be husband, his father entered Leanrdro pulled me outside the little hunt which was now filled as people tried to stop the fight I felt a hard slap which brought me back to the guy infront of me, I held my cheek as I felt a painful rushed "Did you just slap me?" I asked and he clicked him tongue "And I will do it again to put you in your place Thando told me you were trouble and you will be trouble in your father's house apha you're just a wife, bitch!" He said and walked away. I looked at his back with my hand still on my cheek "Thando was right and you will beg for my forgiveness once I started with you" I said softly wiping away the tears which were starting to blind my vision.
"Hey" said a voice I turned and it was Mbali "What you did was crazy for a newly wed bride" she said and laughed sweetly I also laughed too "Your day was a disaster" she said still laughing "It was actually beautiful, I love disaster and it was a proof that this whole thing was not meant to happen" I said then she stopped laughing at looked at me "You mean all the stories Thando told us were true?" She asked with her eyes opened wide I winked and shrugged she started laughing and hugged me "Welcome to the family sister in-law" she said and I clicked my tongue hugging her back she laughed again.

"Ohhh well my mother couldn't come because her my mother my granny is sick" she said and I nodded "So your father also has many wives?" I asked and she sighed heavily "Well my mother was or is my father's second wife, the first wife Mahlope is back home in the village, then my mother she has 3 children me the first born, Lwando and my little brother Khuli the black sheep, the third wife is that bitch Linda can you believe she was my high school friend and father had to marry her" she said becoming angry "Linda is a non factor I don't know why but I don't like her, let's talk about Khuli" I said then she laughed "Khuli is a 22 years old DJ comes home only when he broke or in trouble" she said "What kind of trouble?" I asked curious as ever. "He is into drugs" she said the stood up from the grass we were laying on "It's getting dark, you should've been inside long time ago by tradition" she said as she helped me stand up and fixed my attire "Ohhh well I am not even really married it was arranged" I say as I stretch myself "Either way it's marriage love" she said with a smile, we walked to the main house. "Nolwethu follow me" said Lwando and disappeared down the passage, "You heard him right?" Asked Mbali "Yeah he asked No..." I stood as I remember my marital name, Nolwethu I looked at Mbali who was laughing as always I turned to look at Thando who was cooking "Is your sister in-law always laughing?" I asked her and she shrugged "Did my sister just forget her name, you never forget anything" she said and I shrugged and followed the darling husband while leaving the two laughing.

"Brother in-law" I said as I entered Lwando's study room "Nolwethu you should be the one standing on the pots not running around the yard like some headless chicken" he said and I started walking around like the chicken he was referring me to he shocked his head looking at me. "Not only are you ugly, you're also stupid can't wait for you to give birth and leave this house" he said and tried to walk away from me but I stopped him by holding his hand "I am not ugly neither stupid okay? Asshole" I said and he slapped me I feel down next to the pot play I stood up and threw the plot plant at him. "What the fuck!" He roared scaring the shit out of me as he held his bleeding head. I ran out leaving him cursing at me, I arrived at the kitchen Thando rushed to me "What's going on?" asked Mbali "He is dead" I cried out Thando pushed me out of the way and ran to the study room while Mbali stood there just looking at me.