Finding a Weapon

Haruka's POV

"Haruka! Get over here!" Misaki called to me. She was standing in front of the mission board. I dashed over to her. Misaki was my best friend, and also a second rank meister. Momo, her weapon and my other friend, ran behind Misaki. Momo was a pistol. Even though we all started going to the Academy around a few months ago, I was the one who had to sit in boring classes without a weapon. They were both really lucky. I looked over the mission board.

"Why'd you call me over? You know I'm just a lone meister. I can't do any missions!" I pointed out. I did a fake pouty face.

"Don't worry, I've got you a partner. There's a new girl! She's a weapon!" Misaki said happily.

I rolled my eyes. "Last time you said that it turned out to be DUDE and he was a THIRD RANK weapon with a MEISTER. I'm going to find Edgar. He's got food and I'm hungry."

"This isn't like last time, I've actually met her! Come on, she's in the classroom. At least say hi!" Misaki begged. She tugged at my arm, pulling me into the classroom. I saw a girl with long brown hair and a red beanie surrounded by a clump of kids. She seemed to be telling a story. I figured she was one of those girls that only cared about girly stuff, but I still wanted to see what type of weapon she was. At this moment I was desperate for a weapon and figured she couldn't be all that bad. I picked up some of the topic she was talking about.

"...And then there were these old guys fighting each other over this really big ocean. They said some pretty mean stuff to each other. My ostrich left, so I had to use the guys as some sort of monkey bars and climb my way across. When I was on the other side, there were these vines on these banana trees. Instead of being smart and swing on the vines, I wrapped it around my waist and then hooked bananas to it. All these elves lifted me and hopped on top of giant lamps. Once I was out of this jungle place, I was alone in like New York city, and then this hippo came and rammed into me Then I jumped on the hippo and flew into the moon rise eating ring-dings. That day I learned to never eat Ring-Dings and Cola before bed. Thank you." She took a bow and hopped off the chair she was standing on. I stood there in amazement of how stupid she sounded. The kids around her clapped loudly. She turned to walk out when I stopped her.

"Hi, I'm Haruka. What the heck was that?" I asked politely. The girl turned to me. She had a wild look in her green eyes.

She laughed. "My name's Xia, with an X. That was a dream I had last night. It was crazy!"

"No kidding."

Xia laughed again. "I know, sometimes I just say stuff without thinking. But I hear you need a weapon. Misaki told me about you."

"Yeah, thanks Misaki. What weapon are you?" I asked.

Xia smiled. Her arm transformed into a giant blue and silver blade when she stretched it out.

"Oh, so you're a knife?" I said sarcastically. "I'm kidding. A scythe? That's cool!"

Xia nodded. After a long pause, the room became awkward. Xia rocked back and forth on her feet. "So, what do we do now? Shake hands, fist bump, then go out and fight baddies?"

I shrugged. "I think we have to go tell Lord Death or something."

"Then let's go on an adventure! Yay!" She yelled, skipping out the door. Maybe she isn't what I thought after all.

We walked silently through the halls. Xia kept her eyes straight at the ground. I couldn't believe a girl this hyper could be so quiet. Sometimes I get that way, but I don't go from crazy to shy. The halls were twisty and confused, but we finally made it to Lord Death's office. We were only past the doorway when Xia freaked out.

"Gah!" Xia cried, seeing the blades on the ceiling. I laughed as I watched her do her best to avoid the deadly knives hanging in the red doorways.  We came to Lord Death's office, windows floating on the outside-looking walls. Xia took a strong interest in the wallpaper when something else caught her eye. Sid, a zombie, was also there talking to Death. Xia frantically pointed in Sid's direction.

"Hey, it's the blue-zombie-gopher-braided-hair-guy that helped me earlier!" She said.

"Nice description of Sid. You nailed it." I replied.

"Thank you, I try. Maka and I got lost exploring the school before class. He helped us find our way while muttering stuff about 'that's the kind of man I was'." She made her voice really deep at the last part. I gave out a small laugh. Lord Death saw us and beckoned us to come over. We walked up to Lord Death.

"Ah, hello Haruka! I see you've got a partner. Xia, right?" Lord Death said in his usual silly voice.

"Yes, sir. I guess news travels fast." Xia replied.

"Call me Lord Death. It makes me sound younger."

Xia nodded. "So, Lord Death," I asked, "are we officially partners now?"

"Yeah, I guess so."

Xia and I high-fived. I couldn't believe it, I finally had a weapon!